Useful subtags for amenity=bicycle_repair_station (for StreetComplete quest)?

Wiki for amenity=bicycle_repair_station mentions following service:bicycle:* tags that are used in combination:

• service:bicycle:pump
  • service:bicycle:tools
  • service:bicycle:chain_tool
  • service:bicycle:stand

In StreetComplete issue #5870, it has been suggested to make a StreetComplete quest, which would (for any amenity=bicycle_repair_station object without servic:bicycle:*=* tags) ask user to “Tag ALL equipment that is available on this bicycle repair station”, and present multi-select (picture-based) options for those documented tags (“pump”, “general tools”, “chain tool”, “bicycle stand”) (each of them would be marked as “present” or “not present” by mapper, which would translate to =yes/no tag values).

As the Quest would ask to select ALL that apply, it would be beneficial if the quest presented all the things that may relatively commonly be found there (say, in no less than 5% of the bicycle repair stations?)

StreetComplete also has an option to leave a Note for very uncommon situations, so it does not make sense to ask mappers to verify for extremely rare things that are only found once in a blue moon (like e.g. wheel truing platform).

So, question for the wider community: do you know / tag some of the other stuff that may be found (and tagged) on amenity=bicycle_repair_station, which would make sense to ask the users if they exist there in such a StreetComplete Quest?

In my area, the bike repair stations are very uniformly equipped, albeit by different manufacturers and operators. Most of them are from the manufacturer ibombo (https://www.ibombo.eu/), even across the country borders DE, CH, AT, LI, IT. In most cases, the IBOMBO PRS-LV2 (link) model is installed, which also looks and is equipped almost identically by other manufacturers. The ADAC provides an overview of the tools that are usually installed here or from the ÖAMTC here.

It is a large column made of metal, two pipes are placed on top as a support surface (stand), the tools and often but not always a chain tool hang inside the column protected from the rain and an air pump with hand or foot drive is attached to the bottom.
The selection of tools varies, but this is summarized in service:bicycle:tools. It seems to me to be overkill and unnecessary to record every single tool individually.

In this regard, the four values you mentioned are sufficient.

What has been coming up more and more recently are stations where the bike can also be charged (at the same time). ibombo now also offers this as a supplement (see “E-BIKE charging module” in the details of the above linked product). This could be covered by service:bicycle:charging, although a separate node with amenity=charging_station would probably be more appropriate here.

To summarize, I would say that normal tools and an air pump are the standard. Depending on the size of the station, there is usually also a stand. The chain tool is probably the most “difficult” for StreetComplete users. Firstly because it is not always equipped, secondly because it is very small and thirdly because you have to get very close to the column to find it in case of doubt, fourthly because it does not look uniform.

The obvious sizes are easy to recognize (example 1), but the variants integrated in a multi-tool sometimes require a closer look (example 2, example 3, example 4).

Here’s a list of all service tags used on repair stations more than 10 times, excluding those that clearly refer to a shop tagged on the same node.

Count Key
10493 service:bicycle:pump
6403 service:bicycle:tools
2089 service:bicycle:stand
1471 service:bicycle:chain_tool
1445 service:bicycle:repair
438 service:bicycle:screwdriver
163 service:bicycle:cleaning
90 service:bicycle:charging
23 service:bicycle:wrench
23 service:bicycle:tire_lever
15 service:bicycle:repair_stand
12 service:bicycle:pump:valves
12 service:bicycle:compressed_air
12 service:bicycle:allen_wrench

And a couple of common non-service tags:

Count Key
7048 opening_hours
4466 fee
4064 brand
3793 operator
2572 note
1897 name
765 access
696 covered
491 website
480 image
479 description
437 manometer
409 valves
390 indoor
284 colour
283 start_date
95 wheelchair
94 pump
75 ref
55 compressed_air
50 lit
1 Like

Thank you for the query, that is very helpful.

These have obviously already been mentioned.

That looks like a troll tag to me. Or does it mean that someone else at the service station will repair your bike for you? At least this is what the original proposal says.

Good idea, but then you would really have to list every conceivable tool. Screwdriver, open-end wrench, Allen key, nut driver, …
I don’t quite see the added value here.

That sounds good, but I’ve never seen it before. Does anyone have a picture of what it should look like?
And wouldn’t amenity=bicycle_wash probably be more suitable?

Already mentioned.

Good point, interesting that this is so little used so far. Perhaps because it can be implied? But it could be added to the list.

I have a guess where this comes from. There are repair stations from which there is only a normal wall_loop. repair_stand is supposed to make it clear that the bike is hovering above and the drive can be moved.

I would say this should be in a separate quest, which then also asks this question at compressed_air at gas stations. See: New quest: valve types on bicycle pumps · Issue #4450 · streetcomplete/StreetComplete · GitHub

Valid, instead of a manual air pump there is a compressor here. I’ve never seen one myself, but it seems useful. Anyway, amenity=compressed_air is recommended in the wiki as a separate node.

All valuable information, but in my opinion not relevant for the quest question.

1 Like

Schwalbe has developed a new valve and has already launched it on the market. So far, there is probably no pump at the repair stations that can specifically operate this valve. However, it should be taken into account when creating a new quest.

<ot>Sadly, not yet. Been desperately waiting for it since Eurobike :crossed_fingers:t2: </ot>

1 Like

Check the Schwalbe FAQ before you make any false statements :wink:

What do I do if I don’t have a Clik Valve pump with me when I’m out and about?

The valve can also be inflated with most normal SV (Presta valve) and DV (Woodsd/Dunlop valve) pumps.

I already know that, which is why I wrote explicitly that it was made specifically for that purpose. Schwalbe says it can work with most, but does it work perfectly?
Apart from that, it is still a feature of the pump, so it should be recorded if available.

Yes, additional quest about valve types that might be separate SCEE quest (if someone decides to suggest it, I could help write code for it), and (if suggested and implemented) such additional valve quest would pop up only if in this quest it was answered that it has service:bicycle:pump=yes

Edit: and it was implemented in Added valves quest by mcliquid · Pull Request #644 · Helium314/SCEE · GitHub thanks to @mcliquid !

2 Likes

Personal Note: Das war von meiner Seite nicht so ernst gemeint wie es sich liest. Bitte nicht falsch verstehen!

On topic: After some research, Schwalbe promises that the new Clik system will be backwards compatible with all regular SV pumps.

Therefore, I would not assume that special Clik pumps will be widely used.

The whole point of the clik valve is to use clik pumps :wink: But why are we discussing this? If a repair station provied this one, let’s tag it and continue

2 Likes

Kein Problem, alles gut.

But I also agree with @Nadjita that we should at least not forget the click valve. A lot depends on the market launch and customer acceptance. My personal opinion is that I assume this will be the new standard. Although that will of course take some time.

1 Like

For those interested, in the meantime “valve types” quest is being implemented in SCEE PR #644. The “Schwalbe clik” is being mentioned; but can be added only once it is in the wild (and people manage to upload freely licensed pictures of it to commons.wikimedia.org or similar). Luckily, it should be easy to add once it is available, and if people manage to see some in the wild before quest is extended with that type, people can always leave OSM Note from the quest.

ObXKCD #927:

1 Like