Unique Mappers Network OSM Community Nigeria

Category name

Unique Mappers Network Nigeria

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

It is a top level category because it is a country -Nigeria OpenStreetMap Community forum

Description of its purpose

The forum will provide a platform for unique mappers community members discuss and follow up conversation about openstreetmap activities in Nigeria and beyond

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

Being a category is necessary because it will have opportunity to create sub category of the community to accommodate all aspect and location about OpenStreetMap community in Nigeria

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

Yes, it is already existing since 2017 but in more han 10 whatsaap groups

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

We have daily and weekly volume of conversion in our whatsaap groups

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

This forum link would be shared to our whatsaap groups to on-board our community members

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

if none, the OSM Etiquette Guidelines will apply. Replace this line with your answer

List the usernames of the category moderators

KingVik,
Dannyoung
Amankwe Kingsley

Ideally at least 3 users who can commit to moderate the category and enforce the guidelines.
Any context about these 3 users and why they would be a good moderators.
An individual reply to this topic from these 3 users supporting the request and committing to their moderator duties is needed.

2 Likes

Hello @vicksun

I’m moving this request to the right category.

Could you check and edit the message with the answers to the questions? It seems they are empty.

Thanks!

done ,check it and let me know .thanks

Still not showing up. Please make sure you remove the <! - - code to avoid hiding the text as a comment.

Thanks!

Done ,check it again thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could edit the initial message adding a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria note that for the list of moderators to be approved, 5 days of community discussion will need to take place here (always including weekend days) and then a voting poll to validate the list by the community will be open for another 5 days too.

Thanks again!

While not being familiar with mapping in Nigeria, wouldn’t it be good to change the proposed name of the category to something more “neutral” like “Nigeria” (similar to all the other country communities so far)?

This came to my mind both for having a uniform format in the Communities category and in order to enable more specific sub-categories within it, like @vicksun is proposing.

Hello @vicksun, please clarify if this community is intended as a category for the Unique Mappers NGO or a country category for the entire Nigerian community. If it’s the latter, that should be reflected in the category name.

I am Kingsley Chukwuemeka AMANKWE with OSM Username Amankwe Kingsley and I am one of the proposed modarator by @vicksun for Unique Mappers Network OSM Community Nigeria, I am OK with the role and I will Operate within the Community Guidelines.

I am Kingsley Chika CHUKWU with OSM Username KingVik and one of the proposed modarator by @vicksun for Unique Mappers Network OSM Community Nigeria, I am OK with the role and I will Operate within the Community Guidelines.

1 Like

Do we really want to fragment discussion of mapping in a country into multiple competing groups?

2 Likes

I think it would make sense to first set up a country category for Nigeria, so that other mappers who are independent of UMN find a home as well.

1 Like

I am Daniel Akor with OSM Username Dannyoung, one of the proposed moderator by Victor Sunday (@vicksun) for Unique Mappers Network OSM Community Nigeria, I am Okay with the role stipulated, I will observe and work within the Community guidelines.
Thanks

@vicksun can you help understand this? Have you talked with the rest of the mapping communities in Nigeria?

1 Like

Emmanuel Jolaiya here with ODM username “Jolaiya Emmanuel”, a member of the YouthMappers community and an OSM contributor from Nigeria.

Thank you @vicksun for this great initiative! However, I would like to share the same school of thoughts with others above i.e Lets make the group more generic and open. There are lot of independent OSM contributors from Nigeria that are not part of the Unique mappers. We have several YouthMappers chapter, NGOs and people contributing to OSM in Nigeria. Unique Mappers Network can then be a sub-category of the OSM Nigeria.

@vicksun @KingVik @Dannyoung @Amankwe_Kingsley can you please check on the pending questions in order for this request to continue?

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks , I will check it out soon !!

Hello,

Bringing this request back to your attention. Have both Nigeria communities talked to each other to come with a unified list of moderators for a common Nigeria category?

Thanks!

1 Like