TomTom - Thailand Community (Leads and RoadRunner)

Hi Thailand community,

We appreciate all the feedback and ideas you brought to the table. I’m glad to see there is interest surrounding the efforts on improving the map leads, RoadRunner tool besides other topics that we tackled during our call, I would like to share more information with the wider Thailand community.

RoadRunner is a tool that uses vast amount of GPS traces to completely generate a road network automatically. It can detect one-way streets and road classes (motorway, major road, minor road and so on) from TomTom GPS traces and pulls in street name information from OpenStreetMap. I’m happy to say that this tool is available for use for the OSM community and here are some potential use-cases:

• Detection of new or missing highway and roads
  • Detection of misaligned highways
  • Confirmation of traffic changes on major projects OSM community members may look around the RoadRunner Web Interface here (feel free to adjust the XY coordinates as desired)

It is also possible to use RoadRunner as a custom background in the iD Editor using the following URL

RoadRunner output may also be downloaded as a geoJSON file if you wish to conduct your own analysis for potential map uplift. Also, here is some additional information from our blogpost

We are aware that RoadRunner may not be flawless at this stage, but it is a glimpse of what is possible. We’d love to hear your feedback or any potential project ideas you may have with RoadRunner.

You can also find a simplified instruction PowerPoint for you to follow.

Thank you again and feel free to post or send any comments or feedback

Salim

2 Likes

Hi Salim,

Thank you so much for making the RoadRunner data accessible to the community. This tool will be very helpful.

Please find the full link below to see the layer as a background in iD editor, or click here

https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=id#background=custom:https://roadrunner.innovation.tomtom-global.com/styles/basic/%7Bz%7D/%7Bx%7D/%7By%7D.png

Do you have by any chance a transparent layer available for RoadRunner with only the road network as an overlay and no background?

This would be useful to compare with other layers (OSM traces, Mapillary, Strava Heatmap…) in custom integrations; and could be also technically integrated into iD editor as a built-in overlay for the Thailand community.

1 Like

Hello @julcnx

Thank you for showing interest in RoadRunner, I will definitely take it back to our engineering team and come back to you the soonest, meanwhile if there are any other remarks or comments, please do not hesitate posting them here.

regards,
@sbaido