The "OSM Standard tile layer" looks wrong (white lines, abusive comments etc.)

I have now set another force expire of old cache. The vandalism should mostly no longer be visible.

Update: The force expire is struggling because the load on the render servers is now very high. In some cases “Dirty” tiles are being served due to load, and these may still contain vandalism. Hopefully the ratio of dirty tiles decreases over the next few hours.

15 Likes

I just discovered a mass spam of nonexistent roads with inappropriate names.
I don’t want to give examples as it’s not something I feel comfortable saying, but I attached a few screenshots.
I’m a new user so I’m only able to attach one screenshot. This one is in Bridgeport, Alabama. But they seem to be all over the world
This is a very annoying issue when using this site and it’s something you should please fix.

(I hope this is the right place to post this as I don’t see a report an error page)

Please see here for details.

Hello,

I was working on a map in QGIS with an OpenStreetMap background. I was working near Maastricht (South-Netherlands) and between the GPS coordinates 50.87531, 5.72567 and 50.87302, 5.74033, someone has written some text that most likely shouldn’t be there. Could this be fixed?

Thank you,
Milan Holsgens

Please check: The "OSM Standard tile layer" looks wrong (white lines, abusive comments etc.)

TLDR, vandalism already been fixed

To prevent this type of vandalism in the future, would it perhaps be possible to block edits from being made that contain certain offensive words/phrases.

And possibly make it impossible for new users to edit roads in a way that they span the entire globe.

Or is it not possible to implement safeguards like this? I know that it was identified and taken care of very quickly, but prevention is better than cure :grin:

1 Like

That particular restriction can be easily circumvented by just creating a new node on a way instead, and moving that one thousands of kilometers of way.

However, new users – and old ones alike – should have no business even creating a changeset whose extent spans hundreds of kilometers. Either they are touching unrelated objects many miles away, or they are messing with very large features, which should not be a newbie’s business.

Humbly taking myself as a use case, I don’t recall that any of my ~5500 changesets (very large on average) spanned more than ~100 km (and even those were about country borders or river relations). The largest ones were when I was deleting someone else’s megaobjects.

5 Likes

I’d suggest creating a separate topic in this forum to discuss those questions - in particular to discuss how to change how the OSM API could detect examples of problems.

1 Like

Same here, the only times my changesets spanned over 200km is when I accidentally created two objects on separate continents because I forgot to save my changes from before, and when I touched a relation that spanned half of France (But that was a legit edit).

in particular to discuss how to change how the OSM API could detect examples of problems.

I don’t have any knowledge about the API, but I guess I could create a topic to discuss it.

I think that it does make sense to separate “I’ve seen a problem, help!” from longer term “how do we change how OSM works with new users” (changes to what the API allows).

Knowledge of how a request to upload data is handled in OSM helps (and I don’t have much of that) but even without it’s still possible to discuss the impact of changes on genuine new users.

2 Likes

Somebody put made up streets with derogatory names. Its only on zoom 16 layer and on small area but would be nice if that could be changed. Here is the location OpenStreetMap

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards.

Please check The "OSM Standard tile layer" looks wrong (white lines, abusive comments etc.) - #12 by SomeoneElse

Try refreshing with f5, the vandalism has been reverted already.

They’re back, and this time hiding under changeset comments that say stuff they’ve not done to make sure they won’t get their edits seen/analyzed in OSMCha or other tools

Yes, it has all been reverted yesterday for as far as we know

FWIW, as of 10:41 UTC I still see vandalism at 16/44.9040/20.1491 and several surrounding tiles, and no amount of Ctrl+F5 helps.

Why would u downvote this post? Maybe take your time and see the link i shared. Moderation: Reproduction of insults removed. So we cant use this tile server for our purposes.
I cleared cache and hard reload the page, but the problem still persists.

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards.

What actually are your purposes?

Also, repeating the accusation made by the vandal is not OK. I strongly suggest that you edit your post to remove it.

Edit: Post now edited, thanks!

7 Likes

This sounds as if you are using the tiles rendered by the OWG for the OSMF in a third party website or application.

You should be aware of two things:

a) you are a “second-class” citizen in requesting the tiles from the cdn so some of the tactics that may help in not seeing those tiles with vandalism on www.openstreetmap.org may not work for you.

b) the tiles rendered by the OWG are meant to provide nearly instant feedback for mappers, that is their purpose. Therefore they update up too minutely based on newest data but will also show vandalism like in the recent and in past situations while widespread vandalism attacks happens. And with those widespread attacks the systems run by OWG get a heavy burden in refreshing those tiles towards a post-vandalism / vandalism-free state. Third party users of those tiles fetched from the tile.openstreetmap.org cdn/renderings may see those even longer, see a).

So in conclusion if you want to use a map where those vandalism is not shown, you would either set up your own infrastructure and get a deep knowledge of what you are doing or use tiles by a third party that takes care of not letting those vandalism occurrences into their systems/tiles. E.g. I provide a tile service used by businesses and also government institutions and as you may imagine they do not want to see these kind of vandalism attacks in their maps so one important work step here is not to let these vandalism attacks get into the systems to render and present a map.
But again, these maps have a different purpose in being suitable for business or institutional use while the purpose of the OSMF tiles are to provide mapper feedback as the foremost importance of their existence. So if you are using OSMF tiles from tile.openstreetmap.org for a different purpose (in contrast to nearly instant feedback for mappers) you just got your planning wrong.

8 Likes

Sorry for repeating accusations, just joined your community today so I am not up to date with your rules.

My purpose is having OSM as a base layer for testing and demonstrating GIS system.

As I can see requests are going to this server https://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/

Kind regards.