The "OSM Standard tile layer" looks wrong (white lines, abusive comments etc.)

Yes. Looks like The Blockening has commenced.

Thanks to our team :muscle:t2:

(Oh, and to the petty little vandal: If you’re trying to further some kind of cause: this is not helping in any way. Neither Russia nor Ukraine gain anything from these stunts. And if you’re angry about decisions by people here at OSM: Grow up)

5 Likes

Note: anyone that is not an expert at reverting things should not try to revert this.

In this case someone decided to waste a lot of time to setup something relatively tricky to revert. It is not standard case where simply reverting with common tools in standard configuration will work.

I tried to help with reverting and only made things worse. Sorry.

If you are not fully understanding what edits exactly did, do not revert. If you think you do - you may be making the same mistake as me and you should recheck.

If you revert changeset by changeset, without filtering for elements, without checking all changesets - you are definitely making things worse.

(maybe helping in some way is useful, I hope that someone from DWG will post here if that applies)

If anything they effectively behave as pro-Russia troll (pointlessly damaging stuff while insulting something is effectively making other side seem worse). No idea what they actually intended, and there is no point in caring about this.

16 Likes

This was discussed a bit in Maybe rate limit changeset size? · Issue #4805 · openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website · GitHub

If someone would be interested in analysis of one kind or another then potential effects of such change could be estimated.

There is also Allow a limit to be set on expiry of line segments by tomhughes · Pull Request #2185 · osm2pgsql-dev/osm2pgsql · GitHub but it needs even more advanced knowledge to help with it.

1 Like

@Mateusz_Konieczy You are right; this should be left to the experts to revert. Unfortunatly I read your post after I had made three reverts. I will refrain from further reverting this vandalism-attac.
The reverts I made were:
I hope I did not revert a revert or otherwise destroyed somthing.

1 Like

Just to reassure people, this latest vandalism is being dealt with. It needs to be done in one go as all the changeset objects are interlinked. As noted above, piecemeal reverts using tools such as Josm’s reverter plugin or https://revert.monicz.dev/ won’t work because they will just restore something to a previously bad state.

Edit: A revert has now fixed most or all of this. If you think that something is still wrong, please go through the checks above before reporting it - you may just be seeing it in your browser cache.

22 Likes

Will the CDN now serve bad tiles till next week? I see some in zoom 14 and 15 in the JOSM editor.

This has occurred again at 4 levels of zoom to the north east of the Isle of Wight. seen in both Safari and Chrome . Mainly over the sea and at the higher levels of zoom the street names are both in English and Cyrillic script/

Thanks - can you go through the checks above to see if it is still a problem? You may just be seeing it in your browser cache or the CDN.

1 Like

Current screenshot from OSM Inspector:

There’s still something wrong in our toolchain… As far as I know, Inspector takes a snapshot daily and then crunches the data. If vandalism was reverted within an hour, how come it is visible so persistently, as opposed to the clean, reverted data from minutes later? (Of course, unless the vandal has hit the precise moment before the snapshot was taken).

OSMI takes a snapshot every 13 hours (yes, it does at that rate looking at OSM Inspector | Geofabrik Tools with UTC timestamp left bottom in bar). Weirder is that if one fixes a problem, it still get’s listed in the next cycle report at Neis i.e. it takes 2 cycles after a fix to go, whereas a bust shows on next 13 hour cycle.

This sounds like a good thing for me to profile…

But the reverter plugin in JOSM should probably take a range/list of changesets to revert for cases like this.

JOSM revert plugin accepts multiple changeset IDs separated by comma. However, it reverts changeset by changeset. If one OSM object triggered a conflict during one revert and triggers the next conflict when the next changeset is reverted, one of the conflicts is not handled properly.

1 Like

I’d agree with that - Josm’s reverter plugin is absolutely the wrong tool to use in this sort of situation.

6 Likes

I was specifically thinking of “if changesets 1, 2, 3, and 4 are being reverted, don’t try to use any version from those changesets”.

As far as what @SomeoneElse is saying about the reverter plugin being absolutely the wrong tool to use, I’d like to fix any issues keeping it from being the right tool to use.

Unless I find a comment somewhere indicating that there was a good argument for it not being the right tool for certain jobs.

Realistically, since we are seeing more vandalism, I’m thinking it might not be a bad idea to have an option to ignore all changes by specified users when reverting. E.g., if v1 was mad by gooduser, but v2, v3, v4, … v100 were all made by baduser, we should be able to revert to v1 without much trouble.

Of course, I have to find the time to do all the improvements. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes it is still a problem, and a little more complex.

Starting with a level of zoom that has the whole of the IOW filling the screen. No issues
Click + once to zoom in Lines to north east of the island and in Sandown bat
Click + again More lines to then East of the Islnd and over the island , Over the Needles and South of the Needles
Click + again Lines with street names over the New Forest and into the Solent No lines over the Needles and south Dense lines north of Cowes and to the North East of the Island
Lick + again Lines in Bembridge harbour A the others have gone

This was tested in Safari with the cache cleared

Regards

Philip Gage
philip@pgage.co.uk

As I suggested earlier, can you please go through the checks above to see if it is still a problem? You may just be seeing it in the CDN.

I’d suggest that that is best dealt with in a new thread, but as a starter for 10 Josm’s interactivity make it unsuitable for reverting potentially thousands of objects in potentially thousands of changesets by potentially hundreds of users.

1 Like

Hi,

seeing this lines in Paechtree city, GA at one specific zoom?

Hello, can you please go through the checks listed above to see if it is still a problem in the data, or is just related to your browser cache or the CDN. You’ll also see advice above to help you clearing your local browser cache.

Also - what website have you included a screenshot from?

1 Like

Hi, I have cleared my cache without any change. They still persisit in Incognito window too.
The website is our Asset Management System which can use basemaps from ESRI.