The damn project done in August 2023

DISCLAIMER: The writing style is not serious, the message is.

What a month, huh?

We are proud to announce that we have closed a long lasting ticket! After one year and five months we are delighted to say that you, mapper, shouldn’t see the difference. Who could be happy from these improvements are sysadmins but there is no sysadmin in our team and no known sysadmin running the damn project instance, so we make noone happy. Not so good but could be worse.

Divide and map. Now. deploy refactored

We stressed the deployement guide by deploying many many many many many many damn TEST instances many many many many many many times. We stressed the damn server of the damn TEST instance by load testing. We stressed ourselves by requiring at least one hour for each load test. We hoped to fail just after 200 mappers as we did the last time and it somehow happened.

Damn load testing for the third time

Damn, next month has started again.

Divide and map. Now. – the damn project – helps mappers by dividing a big area into smaller squares that people can map together.

2 Likes

This looks both very impressive and very confusing. :grin:

Is this a tool very similar in purpose to HOT tasking manager?

This looks both very impressive and very confusing.

We are sorry for the confusion probably created by our PR department. We will investigate. Also, we are thankful for your feedback and will work hard on avoiding the confusion next time. In consequence, we have planned a workshop with our PR team on “How to write about the work (that has been) done in the last month”. We hope you will be happier next time.

Is this a tool very similar in purpose to HOT tasking manager ?

TL;DR yes (more than no).

Yes, but there are some things that can’t be done by the damn project (like organizations or private areas) and that are not available for the HOT TM (like JOSM plugin).

Yes, because we believe that the main purpose of HOT TM is still to divide some big area into smaller squares that people can map together. However, we are not participating in HOT TM so we don’t know the future plans.

Yes again, because the damn project has been directly inspired by the HOT TM issue created by someone from the other side. The damn server with load testing should be enough for this purpose but our PR team forced us to put together an ugly web page full of JavaScript, arguing nobody would be interested if there is no ugly web page full of JavaScript.

Nevertheless I want full refund from your Complaints Department.

I think it would be a useful feedback to your PR department that it is usually not needed, apart from managing different permissions (eg. validators) per areas.

Well I mainly meant about it’s apparent purpose, not their ideology. We use HOT TM locally to handle our mapping coordination (for example when we get new aerial or a request to quiclky map an area for cookies), but we do not use it for Humanitarian (or any other special) purposes. I am not entirely happy with it, especially not the usually breaking (or wrecking havoc) kind of update mechanism.

Indeed right, they worth every penny you are paying for them. My impression was that the UI is a kind of debug UI for developers and testers but it is neither designed to be used nor does it fit the purpose. I believe the general UI of the HOT TM is quite usable, and it is probably not that complex to mimic, but I guess you’re busy enjoying the backend and nobody volunteered to design an orgasm-inducing interface just yet.

Still, let me encourage you, since the project seems to be very nice from a specific distance (I may change my mind if I get closer and cannot drop docker from the view successfully), and pretty useful in its tinyness, compared to the seriously obese HOT TM.

I will try to play with it a bit more, and try to understand what kind of effect those drugs had which resulted this UI, and use this knowledge to grok it all.

All in all: it seem to be a very nice project.

All in all: it seem to be a very nice project.

Thank you.

[…] that it is usually not needed, apart from managing different permissions (eg. validators) per areas.

I am sorry, there are no permissions policy for the damn project. This approach tries to mimic how the OpenStreetMap works…

My impression was that the UI is a kind of debug UI for developers and testers but it is neither designed to be used nor does it fit the purpose.

Yeah, the UI is kind of simple. But it depends on what “client” are you talking about. Instead of different permissions or roles, the damn project uses different “clients” for particular group of mappers.

Mapper is for beginner mappers and you probably would not be interested in it. Mappy is more for managing areas, to see it as is and handle squares merging. For advanced mappers, JOSM damn plugin is probably the best option. If you want (Rap)iD with the similar experience, use panel. And you create and change the areas using the manager.

Another client would be more than welcome, but better done by somebody else than me.

I will try to play with it a bit more, and try to understand what kind of effect those drugs had which resulted this UI, and use this knowledge to grok it all.

It would be awesome if you report any difficulties you have during playing. Greatly appreciated, thank you!

1 Like