Thailand subcategory

Category name

Thailand

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

subcategory below the Communities section.

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

Subcategory for the Thailand local community to discuss topics specific to mapping in Thailand. It should replace the currently used forum sub-section found at users: Thailand / OpenStreetMap Forum
We have no fancy icon yet, but could create a country-specific variation of the logo like others did.

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

Discuss topics which are specific to Thailand.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

It existed before on forum

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

Forum is relatively low-volume with about 400 topics and 3.5k posts in total

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

I opened a discussion thread on the forum to collect opinions. As we have some community agreements documented in the forum I hope that this can be preserved in some way as a reference.
Linking here to the forum for reference: Migration of forum towards community / users: Thailand / OpenStreetMap Forum

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

no specific guidelines apply here

List the usernames of the category moderators

I suggest to start with the existing moderators: Mishari, stephankn
There are other active community members who might be willing to support here as well.
In the past we did not have extreme demand for moderation, so this should be more of a “just-in-case” task.

more in-depth moderator description I copied from below:

Mishari
Active in OSM since about 10 years. Has a history of being active in the FOSS world. Is bringing together community members for mapping events. Has actively participated in forum discussions and knows what is going on with OSM in Thailand.

stephankn
Active in OSM since 14 years. Was part of the expat community in Thailand which started mapping there. I am running a server with various services which supported OSM related activities, currently the main services a bilingual map rendering used by some map consumers in Thailand and Laos community. I did organize the first OSM user meeting in Thailand over 10 years ago. I know the challenges local members face and their worries about organized remote mappers taking over Thailand.

nitinatsangsit :new:
We propose to add nitinatsangsit as a new member to the moderator team for the Thailand subcategory. He joined OSM three years ago and demonstrated active participation in the community. He did actively engage in the forum discussions and is seeking for consensus in the mapping topics brought up.

edits:
6-sep-22: added moderator proposal details
9-sep-22: added nitinatsangsit to proposed moderator list

1 Like

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could edit the initial message adding their usernames in these forums and a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

Additionally, if you can find a 3rd moderator it would be great to make sure there is enough people checking on the category.

Thanks again!

I am uncertain I understand your request. The list is the existing moderator list of the old forum. And I already linked to their user-page (equals user name) in the old forum.

Reason for this suggestion is purely practical reasons. Mishari and myself had been moderators before. I am fine with other people taking moderation role as well. I am not getting paid for this and also do not require having this part of my résumé. So if there are other candidates from local community (preferably Thai, not expat) willing to get involved into moderation and get support by the wider community, I am happily support them as well for moderator role.

For moderator proposal, the existing old forum moderators:
Mishari
Active in OSM since about 10 years. Has a history of being active in the FOSS world. Is bringing together community members for mapping events. Has actively participated in forum discussions and knows what is going on with OSM in Thailand.

stephankn
Active in OSM since 14 years. Was part of the expat community in Thailand which started mapping there. I am running a server with various services which supported OSM related activities, currently the main services a bilingual map rendering used by some map consumers in Thailand and Laos community. I did organize the first OSM user meeting in Thailand over 10 years ago. I know the challenges local members face and their worries about organized remote mappers taking over Thailand.

Thanks for that @stephankn, what you provided was exactly what I was referring to that was part of the request process, and thanks for the time your put into the community :slight_smile:

Empowering new people to support the community to be a healthy place for discussions is definitely something we can support each others with. As part of the wider moderators group, there will be a space for mods to support each other in this and other challenges associated to the role.

I added nitinatsangsit to the list of proposed moderators as a result of a request in the old forum.

Thanks for introducing me as moderator. Of course, I’m happy with this task.

1 Like

I’m happy to be a moderator

The #communities:th category is now created and the moderators that commented here have been added to the group.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community.

Thanks!

Thanks @nukeador

I will send out a PR for the community index later today and update the status.

update: https://github.com/osmlab/osm-community-index/pull/571

1 Like

Forgot to mention that it would be highly recommended to get the OSM Etiquette Guidelines localized in your country official languages, so people participating in your category can fully understand them.

This can be done on the wiki directly as other languages have already done.

Thanks!