Taiwan subcategory

Category name

台灣/Tâi-oân/Tâi-uân(Taiwan)

Is this top-level category or a subcategory?

No, I subcategory under Local Community

Description of it’s purpose and which open mapping groups will serve

Currently, there are several community channels split into different platforms, like Facebook Group, Slack, Telegram, and Mailing List for the OpenStreetMap Taiwan community. And we did not have a sub-forum on the old OSM forum. We want to use a modern forum system like Discouse to be a place to have discussions in Taiwan National Languages like Taiwanese Mandarin, Taiwanese Hokkien, Taiwanese Hakka, and varies Formosan Languages.

We hope we could have a place to discuss mapping issue of Taiwan, or mass import project in Taiwan. Or general discussion of the big plan of OpenStreetMap Taiwan should do.

Why this new category is needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

I think the existing one is not suitable for you need a separate account for each service. And the most popular platform in Taiwan is Facebook, but Facebook is dying in Taiwan, might have to find a place more OpenStreetMap-central to gather likemind.

Is this a new space or it’s already existing in other platform(s)? Where?

What the current volume of messages in the former platform (per week/per month)

Combine different channels, probably 3 posts per week.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

No, probably cross-posting to different channels.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

We will adapt OSM Etiquette Guidelines

List the usernames of the category moderators

• Me, Supaplex of course
  • s8321414:One of host of Monthy Taipei Wikipedia Meetup, also a active member of OpenStreetMap Taiwan, maintaining zh-tw version of WeeklyOSM and OpenStreetMap Taiwan Facebook Fan page
  • assanges:osm.tw website maintainer, an active OpenStreetMap contributor, and a Wikidata contributor too.
2 Likes

It’s good to see Taiwan subcategory in new OpenStreetMap forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment their acceptance, is it possible to edit and add a brief description on them and why they are proposed as moderators? This is something we are asking in every request for transparency.

Thanks so much, excited to see the Taiwan community here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, I add some description of the contribution. :grinning:

@assanges is it possible to get a comment from you here indicating you are OK becoming a moderator?

Thanks!

The #communities:tw category is now live. Additional moderators can be added after their acceptance here.

Thanks!

1 Like

Sure, shouldn’t be an issue for general patroling, and I hope the sub-cat will be the bridge for all parties! Much obglied!

1 Like

Can I suggest you take this opportunity to update the Community Index page with this new category link?

You can do this by opening a new issue in their github repo, you might want to also provide update on existing channels for your community in case some have changed or are no longer used.

Cheers.

1 Like

It seems the maintainer hasn’t approved my PR.

Hi @nukeador

I have a small request for you, is it possible to add the Taiwan Hakka name Thòi-vân to the title of the Taiwan subcategory?

It seems that the moderator have no right to change the name of subcategory.

1 Like

Should be done now :white_check_mark: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Forgot to mention that it would be highly recommended to get the OSM Etiquette Guidelines localized in your country official languages, so people participating in your category can fully understand them.

This can be done on the wiki directly as other languages have already done.

Thanks!

1 Like