Tagging conditional restrictions on complex traffic and bus lanes

Hi everyone,

I am trying to add some data to this road in Melbourne for detail on the road layout and use.

It’s a complicated road. It has five lanes total. In the morning, the middle (third) lane runs in a forward direction. After the morning peak, it becomes a lane for vehicles to turn in and out of side streets (in both directions). In the evening peak, it runs in a backward direction. Then in the evening/nighttime, it becomes a bidirectional turning lane again until the morning peak.

In addition, the first and fifth lanes are part-time bus and bicycle lanes. The forward lane operates from 07:00 to 09:00, Monday to Friday, and the backward lane operates from 16:00 to 18:30, Monday to Friday.

I have tried to tag the bus lanes first, but I am getting a validation error in JOSM: “wrong syntax in lanes:bus:forward:conditional key”.

Here are the tags I have tried to use during my mapping:

lanes=5
lanes:forward=3
lanes:bus:forward=1
lanes:bus:forward:conditional=1 @ (Mo-Fr 16:00-18:30)
lanes:backward=2
lanes:bus:backward=1
lanes:bus:backward:conditional=1 @ (Mo-Fr 07:00-09:00)

(Note that the lanes=forward and lanes=backward tags are existing and I have not fixed them yet).

Can anyone assist with what this JOSM error is referring to? And could someone assist with how I should tag this complicated road for the other attributes?

For reference, this is part of the road: Way: ‪Johnston Street‬ (‪785143268‬) | OpenStreetMap

Looking at JOSM code I think that the conditional validator does not consider lanes tag among the expected ones hence the generic error