Survey plans on membership prerequisites decision

Hi all,

at our June 2022 meeting, the board of the OSM Foundation (OSMF) decided to only accept new applications for OSMF membership and associate membership from people who have previously contributed to OpenStreetMap.

We’ve run several rounds of consultations before taking this step, but to make sure we’re actually moving in the right direction, we additionally plan to perform a survey among the OSMF membership.

What follows is our current draft for questions to include in the survey. Feel free to share your thoughts on the survey design.

Draft of survey questions:

• Should the OSMF restrict at all who can get a membership with voting rights?
    • Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
  • (skip if “yes” to previous) On how many days should a person contribute to OSM before they can become a voting OSM Foundation member?
    • 1 day (i.e. any contributions at all)
    • 7 days
    • 16 days
    • 21 days
    • 42 days
    • 3 months
    • more
  • Would you like to share any other thoughts on the topic?
3 Likes

Maybe I’m late for feedback here, but in this wording “contributed” is used instead of “mapped” used in Updated membership prerequisites plan

I’d suggest that if “contribute” or “contribution” is used, it also has a brief explanation on what a contribution is and what is not. If the requirements only want to consider “edits on the map” then, I would suggest to just use it like that clearly.

Cheers.

3 Likes

The survey discussed in this thread has now been sent out to the OSMF membership. If you’re a member and haven’t opted out from emails, you should have received an invitation (or receive it within the next few minutes). We would like to hear your thoughts!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: How are days of mapping counted?