Survey on the use of OSM.org

We are a study group from the University of Brasília (UnB) conducting research on OpenStreetMap (OSM.org). Our goal is to improve OpenStreetMap by better understanding the profiles of its users. Through this research, we aim to gather valuable information that will allow us to identify the needs, preferences, and challenges faced by users when using OSM.
Participating in the survey will take between 5 to 10 minutes. Your responses will be confidential and anonymous. Please answer all questions sincerely.
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact us via email at gustavo.soares@aluno.unb.br.
We count on your collaboration to improve this important collaborative mapping tool.
Help us translate: Forms Translate - Google Sheets

Survey on MS Forms

Survey Backup on Cryptpad

FAQ

Why are you using Microsoft Forms?

We have access to Office365 through an agreement between the university and Microsoft (I don’t really agree with this agreement), so for us, MS Forms was the best solution as it has no response limit and supports multiple translations. Why didn’t we use LimeSurvey? It’s paid. But if you’re not comfortable responding via MS Forms, we also published on Survey Backup on Cryptpad

Who are you?

We are an extension group at the University of Brasília (UnB). During university education in Brazil, we have the opportunity to develop projects that benefit the community. Currently, we consist of 2 students and two professors.

Is there an official project page?

No :pensive:
We are a small project. However, if it helps, I have published some diaries on OSM discussing ideas on how to improve OSM.org
Gustavo22Soares's Diary | OpenStreetMap

How can I help?

You can help by sharing the survey! :wink:
Or help translate or review it into a language that is not yet available in the form. Forms Translate - Google Sheets (Note: we use Google Sheets, if you want to help but don’t want to use Google Sheets, contact me on Telegram Gustavo22soares or email)
We haven’t started any interface development yet; we plan to start thinking about it in the second half of 2024. If you want to help, you can contact me via email and tell me your skills and how you want to help
gustavo.soares@aluno.unb.br.

How can I follow the project?

You can follow me on social media and on OSM
Perfil OSM

Mastodon

Twitter (x)

Github

Do you intend to publish the results?

Yes, we plan to write an article with the results and publish the data on GitHub. We believe this data can help other researchers and the OSMF to improve OSM.

Why are you asking for my age?

The survey is answered anonymously, and if you prefer, it can be even more anonymous by responding via Cryptpad, so we can’t know your exact age! But we want to understand how each generation deals with OSM. In our round of conversations with Brazilian mappers, many started between 2007 and 2012. We can understand this as the growth and establishment of the internet.

How were the responses formulated?

We started with a round of conversations with active mappers in the Brazilian community, and from that, some questions arose that needed to be validated.

Why are you doing this project?

The main goal is to improve OSM.org, but it’s also an opportunity for us to learn and put our skills into practice.

OSM.org is not for the “end user,” so your research is useless!

We don’t think so! First, any improvement for the “end user” also impacts usability for mappers, and it’s also an opportunity for us as students of a public university to give back to the community the education we are receiving. As students, we have a unique opportunity for learning and personal development! I imagine many in the community feel grateful for finally being heard regarding the issues of OSM.org, and moreover, it’s an opportunity for the community to finally have a group of designers concerned about user experience, as not all FOSS projects have this same opportunity!

3 Likes

Went ahead and filled it out on Cryptpad - Maybe this is a dumb question, but where is the MS Forms link? I won’t be filling out the survey again but I couldn’t figure out where to access the original form.

Sorry, it was my mistake, I didn’t include the MS Forms link, thanks for noticing

@PlayzinhoAgro

The link https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/PlayzinhoAgro/diary
does not work…

1 Like