Should we strive for a global or regional consensus for things like trail visibility & difficulty (sac etc), and possible pathless paths?

Both of those pictures suggest extremely good trail_visibility to me - I’d use other tags to suggest “the first one is easier to use for some people than the second”.

There was lots of text proposed in the beginning of this topic regarding visibility in low light, bad weather, wrong season, &c. The first picture path outperforms the second one by miles on this. Perhaps it simply is beyond the range of that key, much like UIAA III climbs are beyond sac_scale :wink:

1 Like

I personally think that anything which is excellent should meet those criteria. The second trail is certainly “good”, but I don’t think it’s excellent (though in that case there’s some significant differences between it and the terrain around it in terms of height and firmness etc). This is recognized in a few systems in different countries, the United States, Italy, and Australia come to mind.

The trailblazed visibility key has an example photo of poles in snow that is labeled good because they’re far enough apart that they wouldn’t be visible in a heavy snow storm.