Serbian names for Bulgarian places

Hi folks! As you may know, Serbian language uses Cyrillic alphabet similar to Bulgarian, but some letters are different (Serbian doesn’t have some Bulgarian letters and vice versa), and some additional transcription changes occur. A lot of Serbian speakers don’t really know how to read names like “Боян” as we simply don’t have letter “я” :slight_smile:

Would it be OK if I were to add “name:sr” tags for some nodes (places) with such names names. For example Яковци (+ “name:sr”: “Јаковци”), so that people rendering Bulgarian maps in Serbian get better experience?

Except for people that choose to render their map in Serbian this will not have any effect on the map itself.

I made an example changeset, you can see it here: Changeset: 149709396 | OpenStreetMap

I have a small custom written application that helps me edit nodes in bulk, but I do NOT use programatic data generation based on transcription rules nor AI - all my changes are hand-made.

2 Likes

Sounds like it could be useful for Serbian map users, so why not? The same could be done to help Bulgarian map users in Serbia. I’d personally prefer to use the local script though, so I can compare the text on the map with the text on signs, etc.

1 Like

Go ahead with name:sr. Many places already have tags in other languages.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks @celicni!

Most of them are already in Cyrillic but some have letters that we don’t have.

Query for cities and towns without Bulgarian names and with weird letters in Serbia https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1JWC

Maybe @celicni 's tool can be used to add names using Bulgarian Cyrillic in Serbia too? There are only 46 names in @Dimitar155 's query.

And then maybe we can expand it to Montenegro, Bosnia and even Northern Macedonia :hotsprings:

@rhhs , @Dimitar155, Why only cities and towns? :slight_smile: When I expand the query above to smaller settlements, I get 2500 entries: overpass turbo

My tool is not super sophisticated so it involves a bit of manual preparation, and is so far somewhat hardcoded to Serbian. I can publish it to GitHub, but it would take a bit of brushing before that so it can be useful.

That said, until I can publish it, if someone is interested in adding name:bg to Serbian towns, I am happy to provide you with an appropriate list which you can fill in and I can import the data (with attribution in the comment).

The input format is simple: id,localName,foreignName. Like this:

273815065,Найденово,Најденово
273815100,Меляне,Мељане
273815161,Бял кладенец,Бјал кладенец
273815162,Юпер,Јупер
273815166,Бояново,Бојаново

So, if someone wants to do that, just let me know which size of settlements are you interested in (cities, towns, villages…) and I can send you the list to fill in Bulgarian names.

2500 is a bit too many (IMHO) for a few people. That’s why I limited it to cities and towns. Also some of them seem to be lacking Wikidata links so I can’t double check that my spelling is correct.