Serbia subcategory

Category name

“OpenStreetMap Serbia” (or whatever the standard naming scheme for country categories is)

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

Top-level

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

Serbian mapping community

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

A country’s top-level category

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

Exists on users: Serbia / OpenStreetMap Forum .
Mailing list Talk-rs largely inactive (mostly announcements)

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

Intermittent but low, forum sees some 30 msg/month

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

No special plan, but we expect mass migration from the forum.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=15627

List the usernames of the category moderators

Branko Kokanovic - organizer of recent Mapathons, active mapper since 2017, maintainer of https://openstreetmap.rs/, most active on Serbian OSM forum
Pedja - author and maintainer of the first Serbian OSM hub https://www.osmsrbija.iz.rs, active mapper since 2017, most active on Serbian OSM forum
Duja - active mapper since 2018 (among top 3 in Serbia), active on Serbian OSM forum and OSM wiki

2 Likes

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could edit the initial message adding a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria note that for the list of moderators to be approved, 5 days of community discussion will need to take place here (always including weekend days) and then a voting poll to validate the list by the community will be open for another 5 days too.

Also I see that the linked guidelines don’t describe the expected behaviors and what’s not acceptable. This is important to avoid having a legal vacuum for moderation to work and be understandable and predictable. You can rely on OSM Etiquette Guidelines as most communities here or create new or additional guidelines (this is required before the category creation).

Thanks again!

I accept nomination.

Done. More or less, we self-selected as the three most active users on forums (see thread). The forum community is small (a dozen active users) and only checks out intermittently. Having three moderators here is probably an overkill (we did not even have a mod on the forum, asked for outside assistance in rare cases when it needed), but if needed some of us can always jump in.

Oh yes, I formally accept the (self-) nomination. :grinning:

2 Likes

Great thanks, once @Branko_Kokanovic comments here accepting the role we can continue the process (5 days open community discussion and then 5 days for validation voting).

Cheers.

Hi,
I also accept role, thanks @Duja both for nomination and for doing this migration!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone,

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria now the community has 5 days (that must include weekend days) to discuss about this proposal.

After that a voting poll will be opened for another 5 days to validate the list.

Cheers.

Hi all!

I am here to support the initiative! Even if OSM Serbia doesn’t count many members, we hope that in the future we can expand the group, and already there’re some notable differences in the amount of entered data. With the commitment of above nominated people, and I need to mention also a great blog articles by Branko from which everyone can learn something, OSM Serbia is having great people that can contribute a lot. It would be great to have a platform to stay in touch!

Sending my bests!

1 Like

I would like to remind about this, which will need to be addressed before the category is created. Thanks!

I support this, we could use something like this. We will do our best to grow.

1 Like

I support this initiative. :serbia:

1 Like

This is great. We definitely need place to stay in contact with the Serbian community and organize pools and other discussions. :serbia:

1 Like

I support the initiative :serbia:
:beers:

1 Like

Absolute support. Without this community cannot be build and exist.

I support this initiative.:serbia:

1 Like

Hi, this would be a very nice thing to have where we could expand our community into, I would like to support this initiative.

1 Like

@Duja we are still missing a clarification on the community guidelines in order for the process to continue. If no guidelines are provided, the OSM Etiquette will apply.

Thanks!

Greetings,

I hope I’m not late to the discussion. I haven’t been active poster on previous forum however I always lurked around. It’s great place to read current and previous discussions and learn something in the process. Therefore in my opinion OSM Serbia community could really use a place here as gathering hub for important notifications, actions or just discussions about various topics related to OSM. Not to mention that other users from different regions could also easily ask questions or check out things if they desire so.

Regarding moderation team I’m perfectly fine with candidates and I support them.

Cheers!

2 Likes

@nukeador can you use full name Serbia for the URL of out category. I see for already created some have full country name in URL some have only short (cryptic) designation.

Having full name of the country is important for SEO, meaning it helps tremendously searching using global search engines.

Go ahead, it would be very useful!

1 Like