Sally port versus city gate?

Hello! I noticed today that one of the city gate of Fribourg, Switzerland (Porte de Bourguillon) is represented as “sally port”. If I understand well this would mean there is no way through, which is not the case, the city gate is open 24h for pedestrians and bicycle. I am unsure how to properly categorize it as a historic city gate

There appear to be 8 sally ports in Fribourg. If this one is causing incorrect routing then you should be able to override this with the relevant access tags without changing the main tagging. These seem to already be set for the covered portion of the road so could just be copied across to the node. Is it actually causing problems though? It seems to have had this tagging for 13 years.

If it really is mistagged then you can change it to what it’s meant to be, but this seems to be the standard tag for gates in city walls.

The author of cycle.travel indeed found the probable issue: the road was labelled as a tough MTP uphill section, which it is not.

:thinking: Could the use of: Key:locked - OpenStreetMap Wiki and/or: Key:door - OpenStreetMap Wiki provide clarity?

Thanks. Yes this caused incorrect routing by cycle.travel, which considered the access as strictly impossible, even as pedestrian (pushing the bike). I could add the tag access=open ?

If you believe this is a wrong behavior of cycle.travel, I can contact them too.

barrier=sally_port seems fine.

Depending on the router and the type of barrier some barriers might be interpreted as blockage for some transport modes. In order to allow all transport modes to pass a access=yes can be added.

Yes, it sounds like a problem with access tags probably on the ways but the MTB specific tags should not be the issue. Looking at the access tags of the connected ways there seems to be some confusion:

highway=unclassified
bicycle=yes
foot=yes
horse=yes
motor_vehicle:conditional=no @ (Mo-Fr 06:30-08:30, 12:30-14:00, 16:00-19:00; Su 00:00-24:00)
highway=unclassified
bicycle=yes
foot=yes
motor_vehicle:conditional=no @ (Mo-Fr 06:30-08:30, 12:30-14:00, 16:00-19:00; Su 00:00-24:00)
vehicle=no
highway=unclassified
bicycle=yes
foot=yes
vehicle=no

Conclusion

• horse=yes is only present at the first way
  • motor_vehicle:conditional=no @ (Mo-Fr 06:30-08:30, 12:30-14:00, 16:00-19:00; Su 00:00-24:00) is useless with vehicle=no
  • It looks like we have to take this barrier into account, too.