Robert's OpenStreetMap Stuff (osm.mathmos.net)

This is a thread for the UK-focussed OSM tools that I run at https://osm.mathmos.net/ . The tools cover a range of different things, but often involve comparing OSM data to an official dataset and flagging discrepancies for ground surveys.

I’ll try to post updates/news here when I make improvements or add new features. Feel free to post any questions or feature requests about the tools here too.

16 Likes

just want to say thank you for these tools, they’re super useful!

2 Likes

I’ve recently added a few more different brands to my “Chain Reaction” tool that looks for missing or unexpected branches of chain stores in the UK, by comparing branch lists with OSM data. The discrepancies are listed in the tool and also flagged in Survey Me!.

The data mostly comes from a great project called “All The Places” which is a collection of web spiders to extract lists of branches from company websites. These spiders sometimes break and need fixing. And there are a number of major UK chains that don’t have (working) spiders written for them yet. If anyone fancies helping out All The Places (ATP project on github), then that would be great, and it would mean I could add even more brands to my tool.

3 Likes

Back in October 2023, some changes to the Taginfo API meant that I coiuld no longer update the reports I was running on errors in UK Postcodes. I’m please to say that I’ve now fixed my scripts to use a different data source, and the following two reports are now working again:

These reports both flag likely errors in OSM data, so if anyone fancies looking at them and doing some fixes where they can, that would be great. Going forward, the reports should now get updated roughly once a week with new OSM data.

2 Likes