[RFC] Feature Proposal - Wheelchair lifts and ramps on platforms

This proposal wants to establish the keys wheelchair:portable_ramp=* and wheelchair:portable_lift=* to be placed on public transport platforms to indicate whether a portable ramp or a portable wheelchair lift is present at the platform. It also wants to establish the subtags about dimensions and load capacity to give further information about the physical conditions under which these devices can be used.

These tags should be placed on the element that represents the platform, e.g. public_transport=platform for a PTv2 platform.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal:Wheelchair_lifts_and_ramps_on_platforms

Please discuss this proposal on its Wiki Talk page.

1 Like

Not seen here at all. Some buses actually have an extendable ramp at the rear side entry which slides out the bus floor which combines with elevated bus stop platform of which there are more and more, all those I’ve seen here have tactile paving. There’s also ‘social services’ mini buses with lift that are on call… say where you are and where you need to go, within limits of course.

In short the wheelchair:portable is part of the vehicle and meshes with the raised platforms.

BTW, buses that lower the suspension at platforms side is also seen. Makes it easy for those to board with pram and wheelchairs of course.

1 Like

Likewise (for buses**) in my bit of the UK - ramps are built in to transport vehicles, either as an unfolding ramp or by the bus lowering its suspension to allow kerb-level access.

They are a thing on railway stations - usually portable ones shared between platforms, not fixed.

I guess it varies by country. It’d be interesting to see in which countries the approach described is a thing.

** which in the UK is most public transport journeys - see chart 5 here.

Likewise (for buses**) in my bit of the UK - ramps are built in to transport vehicles, either as an unfolding ramp or by the bus lowering its suspension to allow kerb-level access.

They are a thing on railway stations - usually portable ones shared between platforms, not fixed.

That is the case at staffed station.

I believe trains also carry ramps which the guard can use to help wheel chair users on or off the train at unstaffed stations.

1 Like

Thanks for all the hints here and on the discussion page in the OSM wiki. We took all this into account and made quite some substantial updates to our proposal.

The voting for this proposal is still running.
Feel free to vote here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal:Wheelchair_lifts_and_ramps_on_platforms

Every vote (in either direction) is welcome.