[RFC] Feature Proposal - tourism=camp_lodging

Definition: A small, rentable building or shelter (or a group of such structures) with limited amenities, designed for short-term lodging in natural settings. Most often a single unit.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal:Key:tourism%3Dcamp_lodging

Please discuss this proposal on its Wiki Talk page.

2 Likes

An example picture on the Wiki page would be helpful :slight_smile:

As with tourism=chalet, this tag may be used to represent either a single structure or a group of structures.

I would skip this ambiguity and provide a clear tagging guideline for groups of buildings instead. Otherwise data users will have no idea if the tag means “single camp lodging” or “area of multiple camp lodgings.”

3 Likes

I’ve just added some examples with images, thanks.

provide a clear tagging guideline for groups of buildings

Are you aware of an established precedent for this sort of thing?

Yes:

I would personally prefer to use tourism=camp_lodging like tourism=camp_site, because with that method we can use (a lodging equivalent of) capacity:persons=* / capacity:cabins=* to indicate the number of camp lodgings inside a camp lodging area.

Coming to think of it, why do we even need tourism=camp_lodging in the first place when we can already use tourism=camp_site + capacity:cabins=*?

Indeed. We already have this challenge with tourism=chalet - Elsewhere I previously wrote about the rigmarole I had to go through to process the data. To have one OSM tag like that is unfortunate; to manually propose a new one like that seems - not a good idea.

3 Likes

Suppose someone buys a glamping pod like these and puts it in their garden, or a handful in a field like this:

Is that a tourism=camp_site? The Wiki page says:

Note that while camp sites might (or might not) include occasional building=cabin or other housing accommodation, those are neither required nor indicative of tourism=camp_site (which is defined by having pitches for placing tents and/or caravans/RVs

But I don’t know if that’s just someone’s opinion or actual tagging practice. I’ve checked one example of a glamping site that I am familiar with and it is tagged as a camp_site, despite not having anywhere to pitch a tent.

Coming to think of it, why do we even need tourism=camp_lodging in the first place when we can already use tourism=camp_site + capacity:cabins=*?

It’s the same reason we have tourism=camp_pitch when we already have tourism=camp_site + capacity:pitches=*.

camp_lodging is analogous to camp_pitch. It’s a unit within a larger site. camp_pitch is an empty space for erecting one’s own lodging, whereas camp_lodging represents a space with dedicated lodging.

to manually propose a new one like that seems - not a good idea

I understand the concern and have struck that from the proposal.

Suppose someone buys a glamping pod like these and puts it in their garden, or a handful in a field like this

If there’s just one in a private garden, you’d map it using just the relevant building tag and no tourism tag. If there are multiple, and they are for renting, it does start to become a bit more ambiguous. My personal feeling is that that guideline from the wiki is a bit too heavy-handed. But there’s also always leisure=resort if it has more that feel.

If we feel that “camp” is too specific, we could certainly genericize to something like nature_shelter, lodging_unit, natural_lodging. The reason I went with “camp” is that is makes it similar to camp_pitch, but I’m certainly open to discussion on this.

For a different argument, it’s not the same, when this has building= already. Why do you need another tourism= feature inside a =camp_site then? I suggest using an attribute with the building= , to avoid the single vs group problem . Proposal talk:Key:tourism=camp lodging - OpenStreetMap Wiki

1 Like