[RFC] Feature Proposal - Deprecate cycleway=opposite family

A new proposal makes its way into the RFC: It aims to deprecate the cycleway=opposite tagging family that is associated with (logical) problems and is considered outdated by most mappers, since meanwhile there is the much more widespread oneway:bicycle tagging allowing to map the same meaning in a better way.

See the proposal page for more details and rationale: Proposal:Deprecate cycleway=opposite family - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Please discuss this proposal on its Wiki Talk page.

21 Likes

Yes please. The opposite tags are horrible to parse.

3 Likes

In the Netherlands we’ve already phased out the usage of cycleway=opposite. Good riddance.

2 Likes

Why is cyleway=shared suddenly marked as deprecated on the Key:cycleway Wiki page?

There is a proposal for this, but from what I can see this hasn’t been voted on.

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_talk:Deprecate_cycleway%3Dopposite_family:

cycleway=shared is already described as deprecated.

Content that only appears on the discussion page of a proposal is not voted on and is therefore not part of the proposal.

I’m all for deprecating this tag, but it would be nice if we could all follow the proper procedures so every mapper can be involved.

In the revision before @Supaplex030’s edits, it already was described as:

Its use with highway=cycleway is now considered obsolete.

1 Like

But that was specific to its use with highway=cycleway. The previous description implied that is is also used on other types of highway=, and did not say it was deprecated or obsolete. The proposal that @Friendly_Ghost linked to does deal with these two different situations, but seems to have been preempted by this change to the main cycleway page.

1 Like

I see what you mean. I looked into it, and based on Taginfo, 43% of cycleway=shared is used on highway=cycleway. I can see why that would be obsolete. That still leaves the usage of this tag with other highway=* tags unexplained and undocumented.

2 Likes