Revisting the highway classification system

I tend to agree that for some roads the classification simply by digits does not work well.
It does work probably well in telling the “classification”, but in practical life we want the highways rendered prominently on a map based on importance. For the similar reason we want them to be preferred when routing on OSM data.

Right now, for a lot of data consumers (mainly map rendering or routing), the road classification gives them some reasonable defaults.
You can probably assume that a highway=secondary is paved. Or that a highway=primary has better driving conditions than a tertiary (like number of lanes, overpass instead of traffic lights or such).

We have to maintain a robust set of critera on how we can tag and make this tagging verifiable by other mappers. It is like in science. If you claim something there must be a possibility to prove you right or wrong.

So there must be criteria that if I claim a road is a primary, then others on the ground must be able to verify that. And in case road-work happened maybe a road can be re-classified based on this criteria.

The classification by digits served well for an initial classification.

And I think we discussed it before that there might be defined criteria which allow “upgrades” of roads in a higher category. A four-lane road with shoulder and a middle-divider might be upgraded from tertiary into a secondary.

Maybe we can also come up with some criteria which allows to downgrade roads. Or hard criteria which will prevent a specific classification.

I for example would not want to see any unpaved road in Thailand with a classification higher than tertiary.
This is a criteria which can be easily verified by others on the ground.

Another criteria which is verifiable might be the intensity of usage of a road.

Taking the example from Russ: So technically (based of DRR database) a section of a road might be tertiary. But based on the intensity of usage, it could still be used as a primary road. Number of vehicles per hour might be a criteria.
By counting vehicles on the ground for half an hour you should be able to get a good idea how “intense” a road is used.
So in this case it would “protect” a road section from a downgrade to create a more uniform grid of the road network.

I remember also a tertiary road (according to DRR database) in greater Bangkok which was just an agriculture track. Maybe planned and earmarked already for future expansion, but not yet built.
For such cases I would like to have some objective criteria which allows to not tag it as tertiary.

The classification should give a hint, but as government databases can be wrong as well, the authority should be the ground-truth by mappers.

But not based on “opinion, impression” or other subjective criteria. I saw edit-wars where people wanted to do poor-man’s traffic management and reduce via-traffic through their quarter by messing around with the database in the hope that routing engines would prefer other ways.

So what kind of “minimum” requirements would we have for each specific road type (unclassified, tertiary, secondary, primary, trunk)? surface, width, number of lanes, other factors? Are there “de-railers” which prevent a category? What could allow up/downgrades? What could allow a road to keep its classification a bit longer?

@Bernhard: I am no fan of “private” tags which are neither documented nor verifiable by others and OSM is just used as a cheap way to store private data. Same reason we don not want to have other “internal” identifiers stored in OSM data.

In you case: I believe you tried to mark road categories on a different classification, outside of the OSM scheme, right? So could you document it? No real need to keep it private. Why not trying to run it in parallel with the existing tagging. If we see later a benefit, we can switch over. Otherwise it is easy to spot and remove.

I use some tags for overriding the highway tag during the map creation process.
Long ago, it was about dual carriage highways, when I added a “dual_carriage=yes” to those highways (I do not add it anymore).
When the discussion about reference-number-based mapping started again in april, I decided that I need to protect the tagging which I did during the last years, and invented “hwpi” (think of “highway performance or importance”). Thus we can avoid edit wars.

The rendering rules are:

• “facebook”: import=yes and highway!=track => highway=road
  • “dual carriage”: dual_carriage=yes => highway=trunk
  • “hwpi” depending on value
    0 => trunk
    1 => primary
    2 => secondary
    3 => tertiary
    4 => unclassified
    5 => residential
    6 => service
    7 => track

When I add those tags, I actually follow common standards for highway classification - even “our” Thai wiki with the exception of the reference numbers.
Preferentially, it is based on ground truth. But unfortunately, most of the roads have to be classified from imagery. Experience with the ground truth both from Thailand and from well-mapped countries elsewhere helps alot. I expect some misclassifications - but far less than now.

You have put me in a bit of a quandary with this information, Bernhard. I don’t think this sort of tagging is legitimate. Sure, one can create any tag one wants on OSM but it’s a two-edged sword. If everybody felt free to create just any tag they want based on his or her personal needs, the database would soon fill up with millions of undecipherable tags, tags like"hwpi". Just imagine if all of the top 10 mappers in Thailand were to add just two or three of their pet tags. That would imediately add 20 or 30 new “mystery tags” to OSM. Clearly, that is not a workable situation.

These special tags should be removed IMO. I’m sorry to have to say that to such a dedicated Thailand mapper but I’m afraid that’s how I feel about it. If the current tagging scheme isn’t working well, then let’s work together to improve it.

Respectfully,

Dave

I prefer to think of that tagging as something temporary, nothing permanent.
You can view it as an experiment: we can later compare maps based on the different styles, and decide then which one is better.