Proposed mechanical edit for conditional maxspeed keys

Follow up from Should keys like maxspeed:wet be discouraged and maxspeed:conditional used instead? where there seemed to be approval for discouraging these tags.

I am proposing to retag the following keys to conditional restrictions:

• maxspeed:seasonal:winter to @ winter (3707 uses), voted as deprecated
  • maxspeed:winter to @ winter (213 uses)
  • seasonal:winter:maxspeed to @ winter (123 uses)
  • maxspeed:seasonal:summer to @ summer (153 uses)
  • maxspeed:summer to @ summer (11 uses)
  • maxspeed:wet to @ wet (870 uses)
  • maxspeed:children_present to @ children_present (924 uses)
  • maxspeed:flashing to @ flashing (52 uses)
  • maxspeed:snow to @ snow (14 uses)

n.b. I am not including maxspeed:night because it is region dependent on whether it should be @ (sunsest-sunrise) or @ (dusk-dawn)

Please react and/or comment here. Thumbs up reactions will be taken as approval for the idea.

See full details here: Mechanical Edits/arrival-spring/Moving maxspeed conditions to conditional - OpenStreetMap Wiki

I will give at least two weeks (until at least 26th July) for comments before going ahead.

7 Likes

IMO the conditional tagging scheme is way more complicated. Depreciating the more readable values in favour of it seems a bit like it’s favouring the data consumer at the expense of the mapper.

If you encounter your example 60 @ 08:00-18:00 and need to append to it, I suggest to also add the recommended parentheses 60 @ (08:00-18:00).

The parentheses are only necessary in the case that opening hours specification contains a semicolon and are of no use at all in any other situation.

4 Likes

IMO the conditional tagging scheme is way more complicated. Depreciating the more readable values in favour of it seems a bit like it’s favouring the data consumer at the expense of the mapper.

I understand your point, however maxspeed:conditional and other conditional restrictions are well established and supported. There exist libraries to parse the data and it’s so widely used that any data consumer interested in speed limits would have to support it, the same cannot be said for any of the other tags mentioned.

The parentheses are only necessary in the case that opening hours specification contains a semicolon and are of no use at all in any other situation.

I would only edit such existing data in the case that parentheses were required, I think it is out of scope to change existing values if there is no problem with them.

2 Likes

I have completed the edits, all changesets are linked from the wiki page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Mechanical_Edits/arrival-spring/Moving_maxspeed_conditions_to_conditional
If anyone spots any issues, please let me know and I will fix them, but I was careful in conducting the edits.

1 Like