Proposal to add the šŸæ emoji as a reaction

@ZeLonewolf
I suggest to rename this topic to

ā€œLetā€™s talk about respect, tolerance, encouragement and different cultural background with regard to the use of emojis in OSMā€

and when the discussion came to an end in a couple of years start another :popcorn: attempt ā€¦ :innocent:

Why does every topic have to be turned into endless discussions that are widely out of the scope of the original topic? Canā€™t we just do what Minh suggested instead?

A good addition to this test would be usage statistics of the emojis, but Iā€™m not sure if such feature exists within Discourse (more possibly for an addon to do that).
Also, I doubt there will be many people who will actually open topic to suggest to remove an emoji because they donā€™t like it/find it confusing, instead of just refrain from using it.

I would not put it past this community.

Yes, letā€™s just try it out.

2 Likes

Iā€™m confused that this thread about cultural differences is more than 50 posts long, but the obvious cultural issue with this hasnā€™t mentioned yet. Although it has led to serious misunderstandings in the past.

Quoting Wikipedia: ā€œTraditions differ as to whether popcorn is consumed as a hearty snack food with salt (predominating in the United States) or as a sweet snack food with caramelized sugar (predominating in Germany).ā€

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m strongly opposed to this proposal: The question, whether the :popcorn: emoji means salty or sweet popcorn has the potential to deeply divide the community and to become the next landuse/landcover or phone/contact:phone moment in our project.

Contrary to what the wiki assumes, this disagreement does not divide neatly along administrative boundaries. If youā€™re ever in my neck of the woods, let me know and Iā€™ll take you out to a baseball game and buy you a box of Cracker Jack.

1 Like

Iā€™m from Germany; both options are known here and usually specified. E.g. at the cinema.

Considering this we would have to introduce a popcorn layer in OSM marking the inhabited areas with different colours for ā€œsalty snackā€, ā€œsweet temptationā€ and ā€œpopcorn free zoneā€. No problem.

1 Like

:+1: Good idea. In the mean time, we could reply to posts with a :popcorn: emoji. Then you can see if people want to use it, or not?

I like this attitude.

I would have liked this ā€œletā€™s just try it outā€ attitude when it came to removing the minimum character length for posts here in Discourse. I had suggested it, but it was rejected.
It would have been easy to try it out, and adjust it if it didnā€™t work.

5 Likes

In the Julia Language forum at https://discourse.julialang.org , there is only one reaction, which is a :heart: emoji.

On the other hand, in the Discourse Community forum at https://meta.discourse.org,
there are 14 reactions, most of which are positive or neutral.
This is more in line with the principles of Nonviolent Communication.

Before trying this, it might be worth considering what other communities use and why.

Why does the company developing Discourse use those specific 14 emojis? What were the reasons behind their decision?

Are there any potential unintended consequences?"

We use :popcorn: in the OSM World Discord server. Weā€™ve had exactly zero issues or incidents with the use of this emoji.

Here is a typical and recent discussion involving :popcorn: in the Discord server. Context is that I have made a few contentious mass edits in the past and people were probably expecting another spicy situation (which didnā€™t happen this time).

3 Likes

As I understand, Discord allows any emoji to be used as a reaction, not just a few pre-selected ones. If we choose to select 10-14 emojis, we should do so thoroughly and with careful consideration.

1. Why would we limit ourselves to 10-14?
  2. Based on this topic, the demand for a :popcorn: emoji seems high enough to warrant inclusion even if we limit ourselves to that number.
1 Like

We have :-1: and :angry: which are both negative. Since you reacted to the OP with :-1: ā€¦
ā€¦does that mean you were guilty of a violent communication? Should I discuss this with my attorney, therapist, health care provider, priest, rabbi, minister, law enforcement officer, teacher, mentor, or faith healer? Would you consider that a violent communication in the Hungarian forum where youā€™re a moderator?

Great idea!

• Slack uses it because itā€™s lighthearted and funny
  • DIscord uses it because itā€™s lighthearted and funny
  • Facebook, the forum software developer, some obscure programming language forum, and who knows whatever other irrelevant examples youā€™ll dig up later, donā€™t use it because who cares, theyā€™re not mapping spaces.

Feel free to go ask them and stop wasting our time with research questions that you yourself donā€™t want to bother finding the answer to.

Feel free to go ask them and stop wasting our time with research questions that you yourself donā€™t want to bother finding the answer to.

The consequence will be people will start using the :popcorn: reaction.

In fact, people have been using the :popcorn: reaction throughout this thread in the body of messages and nothing bad has happened. Itā€™s a nice relief valve since mapping is often contentious and thereā€™s many disagreements on how to do things. If you can think of an unintended consequence, tell us, but otherwise stop wasting our time with questions you canā€™t be bothered to find the answers to.

2 Likes

From my side, I have never seen that emoji being used in any Greek channel (inside and outside of OSM). Only from other countries and mostly from USA. So, I would consider it more of a USA trend rather than an international one.

Actually, despite their insistence on sweet popcorn, it is the most used in the Germany forum, with the sole example of its use in the United States forum coming after this discussion started. Of course, if you search the OSM US Slack youā€™ll find plenty of usages. Itā€™s also widely used on Discord, which is a very international space (@Friendly_Ghostā€™s example above is Dutch).

1 Like

Being widely used in two of the several communities of OpenStreetMap isnā€™t a really strong argument to add the emoji in the reactions preset of this forum.
But I accept the fact that, as mentioned above, most people are for the addition (or to be precise for many of them, not against). If the @forums-governance agrees, the emoji could be added and later do an evaluation topic (or something less bureaucratic) to see if it should remain in the list or not, based on its acceptance.

So, can we have this emoji @forums-governance?