Proposal for Renewability in Forum Governance

Hi all,

I am writing to you today with a proposal aimed at enhancing the renewability and diversity of our @forums-governance team. And, in keeping with this spirit, I am also announcing my decision to step back from the governance team by the end of 2023, creating space for new voices and perspectives.

Almost two years ago, we embarked on a journey to form a team that was responsible for the decision-making and daily operations of the new OSM forums. The initial team was pivotal in setting the foundation. However, we recognized the need for greater diversity and representation within the governance structure.

To foster this renewability and ensure our governance reflects the vibrant diversity of our community, I propose the following:

1. Inviting Local Representation: Encourage active participants from local groups, especially those who have shown leadership as moderators, to step forward and join the governance team. This will bring new ideas and ensure that the voices of local communities are heard at the governance level.
  2. Leadership Rotation: Define a healthy rotation in leadership roles. This practice will prevent stagnation and encourage continuous evolution in the governance approach.
  3. Focusing on Diverse Inclusion: Actively seek out members from varied backgrounds to join the governance team, ensuring a rich variety of experiences and viewpoints that can guide the decision-making processes.
  4. Enhancing Accountability and Communication: Reiterate the commitment to transparent decision-making and open communication channels, reinforcing the accountability of the governance team to the OSM community.

I believe these steps will not only bring fresh perspectives to the forum governance but also reinforce the principles of inclusivity, representation, and dynamic leadership that we value so highly.

I encourage each of you to share your thoughts and suggestions on this proposal. Your input is crucial in shaping a governance team that truly reflects the diversity and dynamism of our community.

Thank you for your continued support and commitment to the OSM shared vision.

Cheers.

P.S. As I prepare to step back, I want to express my deepest gratitude to the existing members of the @forums-governance team for their dedication and hard work. Your efforts have been the backbone of this forum’s progress.

I also extend my heartfelt appreciation to the @osmf-board for their continuous support, and to the over 100 local moderators who have exemplified true leadership. Your contributions have been invaluable, and I am proud to have been a part of this with you all. This is not a goodbye, but a celebration of what we have achieved together and OSM’s future.

3 Likes