In WikiProject Thailand, the current highway classification has been using since 2014 with little change. Aside from something that is still unclear, the situation on the ground has changed, therefore the current guidelines may be troublesome and should be revised. For example, many highways have been upgraded to dual carriageways, the Grab team is mapping in many places, etc.
According to https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=69749 , We have been unable to reach an agreement on a highway categorization for a long time. I’d like to do something to at least make things better than they are now, so I decided to write down a proposal about what I want to change on the wiki and let everyone comment on it until it is somehow pleased by the majority. Hope it covers issues raised in several previous threads.
My principle is:
- Performance and characteristics can be described by many tags such as lanes, shoulder, width, maxspeed, surface, smoothness, etc. but importance in the network cannot, so highway=* should be tagged based on how important that road be in the network, as stated in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway
- The low importance highway should be longer (in total) than the greater important highway.
- The Department of Highways (DOH) maintains a countrywide highway network, therefore national highway official classification that is defined by a number of digits is quite acceptable, though not all of it.
- For provincial network, there are several organizations that maintained the highway, so a 4-digit national highway, a rural road, and a local road can all be classified as the same thing. We should prioritize the importance of each route in the network over who owns it.
- The Department of Rural Roads (DRR) was originally established to administer a local road during the transition period. Many rural roads have been transferred to a local administrative organization, so the only distinction between a rural road and a local road is the entity that owns the route. By the way, time flies, and the DRR is now constructing higher and higher important roads, some of which are more important than 3-digit national highways.
- Current trunk description is unclear, as Paul mentioned at https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=69749 .
- The low-importance road in the table has yet to be described. Clarify things by following the global wiki description should be done.
- The urban road has not yet been clarified.
- Due to an uncertain classification, numerous road classifications have been changed over time in Thailand’s current OSM mapping, with some edit wars. We should explain things so that everything is on the same line, but keep in mind that not much needs to change.
So, here’s what I’d like to edit in the wiki:
Make the current table’s heading as Intercity.
Change the current description of highway=trunk to
- Change the current description of highway=primary to
(remove the typical features to avoid confusion)
Expand the Rural Road’s table row to cover both secondary and tertiary.
Expand the Local Road’s table row to cover both tertiary and unclassified.
Change the current example of highway=secondary to
Remove the typical features of highway=secondary to avoid confusion.
Change the note description of highway=secondary from
- Add to the tertiary description:
- Remove from the tertiary description to avoid confusion:
Remove concession highway from the table, moving to the paragraph below the table.
Add to the unclassified description:
Moving the N/A type of road to the new Urban and Local Road table.
Move the paragraph above Intercity table to the table’s bottom, and then add:
- Create new table:
- Create new table:
- Add note below all table:
I wish we could have a discussion about this before making the change.