Problems Entering "State/Province" Name on Garmin nuvi 200

Hi,

first, I don’t see a difference in MapSource or on my 62s.
With the mkgmap default style, I can find Amsterdam on both, but not Apeldoorn. With my own and other styles, I cannot find both.
But what I found out: There were more than one place node for Apeldoorn. So I would have expected that you can find it twice. But maybe that’s the problem and Garmin does not like identical POIs for citys.

No clue about Amsterdam yet.

Thorsten

Hi,

Ok, I think I found the problem.

Amsterdam:
Amsterdam has a place=city node and a second tourism=hotel node, both with the name “Amsterdam”, which leads to two POIs with the name “Amsterdam, Amsterdam, NOORD-HOLLAND, NLD”.

In maps where you can find the city of Amsterdam, you will not be able to find the hotel Amsterdam. On maps where you cannot find the city of Amsterdam, you are able to find the hotel Amsterdam.

Looks like a problem with POI with the same name :frowning:

For Apledoorn the same, there are at least two nodes with the exact same name.

Thorsten

But what has a hotel ‘Amsterdam’ to do with a city search? There is only one place=city & name=Amsterdam?
And tourism=hotel is also in the default styles (where you can find Amsterdam), so that does not explain your theory

The place=city is only a POI like the hotel ‘Amsterdam’.
Please, don’t confuse City search (via POI) with address search. The address search uses an own index. If you find a city via city search (POI) this does not mean you can find them via address search and vice visa.

It does. If you can find the city of Amsterdam, you cannot find the Hotel. I verified this now with different cities and different styles, including the default one. If you have a city and one or more POI in the city with the same name, I can only find one of them. Apledoorn for example has three POIs with the same name, I’m always only able to find one of the three, never all three.

Thorsten

This also means you cannot find all shops if they have the same company name within the same city?
Looks like a serious bug in mkgmap then…

city+postal code.

If I do a search for “McDonald’s” in Nürnberg, I will get only one per postal code. But there are more, at least in the inner city.

Thorsten

Yes, and a mkgmap developer created already a patch which I tested with my maps. Looks good, the search problems are now solved for me.

Thorsten

:slight_smile: Yeah I read it, thanks Thorsten!

Hi - while waiting Lambertus to update his wonderful site with latest mkgmap :wink: - I just couldnt resists and downloaded mkgmap (r2226), followed the various steps to generate my gmapsupp.img to check if searching addresses works out of the box without mapsource (I’m a Linux user). Well - it works!!! (Nuvi 510)

However, after entering the city and street number, it is required to type the street name or at least the prefix (starting chars) exactly as it appears in OSM: this is really unconvenient since most street names in OMS labels are prefixed with "Via " (italy) "Rue " (french) or contain person First/Middle/Last names (in this order) while the street itself is really known only by the last name of the person it has been named after.

Example: Facciolati St, 1 Padova; in OSM the label is “Via Jacopo Facciolati” but users expects to find it by typing only “Facciolati” or “Fa” and getting the list of all street starting with “Fa”.

Any clue on how to be able to find a street typing only a piece of the name?

Thanks!

Bummer, I didn’t upgrade Mkgmap for this weekends update…