Potential of nicknames as rewards

We have a bunch of old accounts that didn’t make any edits, didn’t leave any notes, and so on. For example: bober | OpenStreetMap

At the same time, we have the option to change nicknames and use a username already used by someone. But what if we allow you to select inactive usernames? :smirk:

Not going as far as the audacity of Twitter/Telegram, but for example, looking at the example of the Codeforces community of sports programmers. They have a New Year’s tradition, when during the New Year holidays you can take someone else’s inactive nickname. New Year Gifts 2020! - Codeforces

This is not a feature request, but it would be interesting to hear opinions.

I’d love to be able to do something like that. Someone already took my name all the way back in 2011 and never made any edits or notes. Still salty about that :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of commercial sites would delete your account after 1 year of inactivity. I don’t support that, but if someone has been inactive for over 10 years, especially if they never did anything with the account, I don’t think they should have any expectation of still having the account. Many of them probably lost their login information anyway.

6 Likes

Accounts with zero edits don’t have to be inactive.

They could be used to edit the wiki or to use umap.

5 Likes

no, the wiki has separate accounts. Yes, it could still be used to authenticate other services, and it could be used to contribute to the help system, the community forum, diaries and comments to these, and probably more.

2 Likes