Post by email (new thread) not working?

I tried to create a thread on this forum for a new tool by emailing general@community.openstreetmap.org. I got no error message reply. However no thread was created. (I posted the thread on the website). Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know what’s going on?

Here’s the raw email content FYI.

User-Agent: Cyrus-JMAP/3.9.0-alpha0-592-ga9d4a09b4b-fm-defalarms-20230725.001-ga9d4a09b
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-PersonalityId: 113785880
Message-Id: <0d3778a4-956f-4f55-8ac6-b84bfd01da97@app.fastmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 08:00:45 +0200
To: "OSM Discourse General" <general@community.openstreetmap.org>
Subject: `osmchangesets2csv`: changeset dumps as CSV
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I've made a new tool to convert the changeset dump file to a CSV file: h=
ttps://github.com/amandasaurus/osmchangesets2csv

It might be useful to others. =F0=9F=99=82=F0=9F=91=A9=F0=9F=8F=BB=E2=80=
=8D=F0=9F=92=BB

--=20
Amanda

The current (default) configuration requires users to have at least trust level 2 to create threads by email.

Thanks for figuring that out, I was stumped by the problem.

To me, this configuration doesn’t seem ideal. Creating threads is a basic requirement for full participation on this forum, and users should be able to choose whether they participate through email or the web frontend based on their personal preference.

4 Likes

I think there’s two issues. One is that for Discourse to work as promised, trust level 1 users need to be able to create threads. One of the reasons we went for Discourse is that it allows people to participate by email, and this is breaking that.

The other problem is that if this is not enough for Trust Level 2, we’ve set the requirements too high.

2 Likes

Amanda’s account has some limitations that were discussed privately with her in the past.

Allowing trust level 1 users to create topics by email is technically doable, we are just using the safest default option. @Firefishy technical thoughts into this?

Amanda’s account has some limitations

pfft, typical :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::roll_eyes::rofl::clown_face::upside_down_face:

that were discussed privately with her in the past.

Wait what? :flushed: No-one said anything to me. :rofl: This is the first I’m hearing about this. :joy::upside_down_face:

The minimum trust level a user needs to have to be allowed to post new topics via email is now set to Trust Level 1 to lower the bar to people who don’t want to interact with the forum at all from the start.

5 Likes