Perspectives on AI assisted mapping in OSM

Hi everyone,

We are very excited about the upcoming webinar on the Perspectives of AI and OpenStreetMap (OSM) on Tuesday 11 July 10:00 and 18:00UTC . Make sure you register here : Perspectives on AI Assisted Mapping in OSM Tickets, Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 10:00 AM | Eventbrite

This webinar is a collaboration of the HOT community Working Group and Tech and Innovation Working Group.

We will have exciting panel members leading the discussion ( @Radim Štampach , Fila Milan, Benjamin Herfort @Victor N.Sunday ) but what we want to get out of this webinar is hear from YOU and have an engaging discussion! What are your perspectives and views about AI assisted mapping? What questions do you have?

Some discussion questions to think about:

• Do you have some experiences with mapping with AI buildings and roads? What is your opinion about the results?
  • What are your assumptions, “bias” and hypotheses around the “universal” (vs localized) deployment of AI
  • What do you think about the role of AI in improving data quality of OSM?
  • Would you use pre-prepared AI data if it meant faster mapping?
  • What is more important to your community? Faster mapping at the cost of more errors or less errors at the cost of slower speed?

These are guiding questions- we would love to hear from YOU. What additional questions do you have, what discussion points would you like to bring! Please let us know by responding to this thread! or kindly add them in this loomio thread : Perspectives on AI assisted mapping in OSM: we want your input!

Look forward to seeing you there!

4 Likes

I think it would be a good idea to at least indicate who the organizer is when events are being announced here, not everybody wants to click on an obfuscated link just to find out some basic facts about a posting.

8 Likes

Well noted. Thank you

2 Likes

It’s not the first time that this particular event organiser has forgotten to mention it, either :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think it would be a good idea to at least indicate who the organizer is when events are being announced here

looks as if it is an official OpenStreetMap event?

No - I guess you’re probably just looking at the email you received (and are replying by email). You need to look at the actual post on the forum to see what it has now been edited to say:

(that change was in response to @SimonPoole’s request)

2 Likes

You need to look at the actual post on the forum to see what it has now been edited to say:

Ohene123:

T his webinar is a collaboration of the HOT community Working Group and Tech and Innovation Working Group

(that change was in response to @SimonPoole’s request)

I saw it, HOT is literally the humanitarian OpenStreetMap team, a kind of American OpenStreetMap and is even an officially registered company on its own, hard to be more official…

While that is a rather weird take on its own, it literally has nothing to do with the request that event organizers clearly state who they are (and arguably that is not even the case in the edited posting, but I suppose it is “good enough”).

2 Likes

Part of the problem is that (despite the name) it literally isn’t :slight_smile:

Some details of the relationship can be seen here (meeting minutes from last year), see also here.

Of course, many HOT mappers contribute hugely to OpenStreetMap and many of the two organisations’ goals are aligned.

2 Likes

Part of the problem is that (despite the name) it literally isn’t :slight_smile:

thank you for pointing it out, it isn’t the impression someone would get if they didn’t have this kind of background information.