Osmc:symbol=* on information=*

Hi, the majority of osmc:symbol=* is tagged in type=route relations (94.93%). A little percentage (3.09%) is tagged in combination with information=guidepost/route_marker/trail_blaze. Is an “allowed” practice? If yes I propose to mention it in the wiki, at the moment the osmc:symbol=* wiki page says that it “requires” type=route. Also Walking Routes - OpenStreetMap Wiki mentions this tag only in relation to type=route relations.

1 Like

I agree that this requirement should be removed. osmc:symbol is a way to describe simple symbols in a machine readable way. It’s right that the most common place (and the original intention) is on routes to describe the route markers.
But I think it’s equally possible to use it to describe the same markers if they are present on a guidepost. In this case the waycolor part of the tag shouldn’t be used, but the rest is perfectly usable.
You might want to have a look at the Talk page of the tag, there’s a recent discussion about how to rework the Wiki page to represent the various implementations of this tag by different tools.

1 Like

This will create questions, though: how do we tag a guidepost with multiple symbols?