OsmAnd app and OSM

Is osmAnd under osm? if changes are made on osm are they also seen on osmand?

Is there any navigation maps that could be used on the phone that doesn’t share personal information (phone/location, deviceID, etc.) with third parties? I’ve tried to use OSMAnd but they’re it’s terrible for subway/bus navigation (as well as organic maps --although to my knowledge they’ve been privatised).

2 Likes

if changes are made on osm are they also seen on osmand?

They should be, but probably not right away.

Is there any navigation maps that could be used on the phone that doesn’t share personal information (phone/location, deviceID, etc.) with third parties?

You can try OrganicMaps

Edit:
Didn’t notice you already mentioned them. Don’t know what you mean by “privatised”, they never were a government company and I don’t see how it’s bad.

4 Likes

Sadly, timetable integration is in general missing, at least for now (mostly because it requires enormous effort to implement it, see say How to help with public transport routing? · Issue #837 · organicmaps/organicmaps · GitHub and organicmaps/docs/EXPERIMENTAL_PUBLIC_TRANSPORT_SUPPORT.md at master · organicmaps/organicmaps · GitHub )

yes, almost any navigator.
even in the “normal” “raster” navigator are included vector maps from osm by the mapsforge library

OsmAnd is quite good with privacy though (εxodus) and has a rich feature set.

I have never tried routing on public transport as OSM data is limited in some places when it comes to that. It’s fine for basic information (e.g. where the lines and stops are), but rarely any map app has realtime and / or timetable data included (see above).

There is the app “Öffi” (https://oeffi.schildbach.de/), which is doing PT routing and is quite nice, using the publicly available data from transport companies.

2 Likes

Osmand updates its map ~once in a month. But as paying user (“pro”) or as active OSM-contributor(!) you can get hourly updates.

“Magic Earth” is privacy friendly. I think ME strength is car navigation. So it might be less interesting for you.

1 Like

In case you are interested:
. >Settings >Extensions >OSM

again >Settings >Updates for cartographers

Then you have to activate the hourly updates under the map updates settings.

9 Likes

I’m new to OSMAnd. Is the option for active contributor still available? I can’t seem to find it on my Android device. Thanks!

For me it is still there. Under the mentioned path. Also on an Android device.
Only the path names might be a little bit different as I freely translated them to English.
I found Osmand to be quite confusing in the beginning. Are you in the correct settings menu? (The hamburger from the start page.)

It always takes me a while to remember where to find this.

In English:
Settings (main hamburger menu)
Browse map Osmand profile
Plugin settings
OpenStreetMap editing
(set up your OSM account if not already done)
Map updates for mappers
(this last one should tell you if you are entitled tp updates, but you may need to actually select it tp get it to refresh)

1 Like

It wouldn’t be OsmAnd without 19 layers of nested menus! (And I love the app because of that, haha)

2 Likes