OSM Notes should include the application name, including notes from OSM website

When solving notes, in some cases, it is good to know the application used to create the note to understand the context and better proceed to do a map change.

I think all applications that use the OSM API to create notes should include (append) the application name. In the current state of the API and database model, the only way is to append a text, like a hashtag (#Mapy.cz, #organicmaps, #mapsme, #OSMyBiz) or a description (via StreetComplete) in the note text. (I hope the future API version will improve the notes part )

As a note solver, I have found multiple situations where having a hashtag could identify issues in some applications. Recently, I discovered an OnOSM fork has a problem locating notes in Iran, and it is placing them in the middle of the Atlantic ocean.

Identifying notes from the OSM website, it helps us to better filter the invalid notes from other sources, especially when trying to identify why some notes are misplaced or spam.

There is a request to include the hashtag #website in the notes created on the OSM website: Notes from website should include an indication the note was created here · Issue #3932 · openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website · GitHub

Also, in the apps:

15 Likes

That seems like a reasonable way to track the source. As someone currently working on OnOsm.org, I will open an issue and probably submit the PR for it.

1 Like

Should it be done for all comments in a note, or only a first one?

It seems that StreetComplete too always adds that information to the note when creating it (i.e. on first comment), but not when adding additional comments (See for example 2022-03-19 comment Note: 2707832 | OpenStreetMap with 3 photos link)

1 Like

I think only in the initial comment at creation time. The first comment is important to understand how it was created and the context of the note creation. Mobile applications could be interpreted as on the ground. Websites could be most probably from a computer. Other kind of notes could be interpreted as bulk creation.

3 Likes

It seems that we missed one argument that was only implicitly pronounced: the application label helps to understand where anonymous notes come from.

It would be nice to highlight such applications from this list: Notes/Applications using notes - OpenStreetMap Wiki

I only remember:

Ideally, of course, ban anonymous notes :new_moon_with_face: (I think to create a separate topic) But in general, having dealt with the basic simple applications, we can say that all the other notes come from osm.org