OSM Africa Community

Category name

OSM Africa Community

Is this top-level category or a subcategory?

subcategory under community

Description of it’s purpose and which open mapping groups will serve

For discussing issues related to the OpenStreetMap Africa community, which is a network of OSM communities across Africa, topics such tagging, State of the Map Africa, OSM Africa Monthly mapathons, and grants for OSM communities.

Why this new category is needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

This category is needed to discuss issues that are specific and of relevance to OSM communities in Africa

Is this a new space or it’s already existing in other platform(s)? Where?

The OSM Africa community is on WhatsApp, Telegram and Slack already.

What the current volume of messages in the former platform (per week/per month)

About 1000 messages per month.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

It will be dependent on the type of conversation, we may continue using the other platforms in parallel

(Optional) A link or list of the category-specific guidelines

List the usernames of the category moderators

7 Likes

Hello,
I’m available and will be happy to help moderate this space.

2 Likes

Would be amazing to have an OSM Africa space here! I am available and glad to help with moderation.

1 Like

Great request. It will be a pleasure to join my friends to help with moderation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The #communities:osm-africa category is now live and ready. Let us know if you want an icon or image for the category header.

People who commented in here are part of the category-moderation @mods-africa

Cheers.

2 Likes

Can I suggest you take this opportunity to update the Community Index page with this new category link?

You can do this by opening a new issue in their github repo, you might want to also provide update on existing channels for your community in case some have changed or are no longer used.

Cheers.

2 Likes