Open Route Service initialisation takes forever

I’ve set up an Open Route Service on-premise docker on my server. I added the Europe pbf map from geofabrik.de which is around 44GB. I understand it should take a lot of time to analyse this big map but I let it run for 2 weeks and still no result. I only have some HTTP errors in the log like this:

INFO [http-nio-8080-exec-3] org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service Error parsing HTTP request header
 Note: further occurrences of HTTP request parsing errors will be logged at DEBUG level.
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid character found in method name [0x040x010x00P40xd40xa3600x00...]. HTTP method names must be tokens

in which the method name is different every time. My server has 8GB of RAM but I added 120GB of swap and as of running now 90GB is consumed.

Is the process running well and are the errors normal? If so, how many more days do you think it would take?

I’m completely unfamiliar with Open Route Service, but if you’ve had to do that it’s a sure sign that your 8GB RAM server is not up to the job.

If you try a smaller initial download does everything work OK?

2 Likes

With a smaller map, it works well. I read in the community I need RAM size around the double size of the map so I extended the swap storage. I just want to know it will eventually work and is worth the wait.

I wouldn’t even try it, see Routing server with minimal hardware requirements (run on user device) - OSM Help

A quote from that question:

Edit:
You need RAM, physical memory. In this case you can’t replace this with virtual memory, aka Swap.

2 Likes

It will, but whether that is before the heat death of the universe is unclear - how much slower swap is than RAM will depend on the speed of the disk.

It’s definitely not worth the wait.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Random RAM speed is in the order of 4 GB/s. HDD (not SSD) speed for random seeking (which swap uses) can easily be on the order of 400 kB/s. That is 10000 times slower. In other words, if server with enough RAM would complete the job in just 1 hour (and it likely takes longer), if you were to use HDD swap instead, it would take 10 000 hours, or more than a year to complete (even if such time was no issue, electricity costs alone would probably make it more profitable to buy more RAM; or rent a beefier server in the cloud)

2 Likes