Norway - Fix Spiky Buildings

Hi OSM Norway Community,

I’m excited to announce a new MapRoulette challenge: Norway - Fix Spiky Buildings (MapRoulette)! We’ve identified buildings on OpenStreetMap (OSM) with oddly sharp angles. Most building corners are close to 90 degrees, but this challenge focuses on buildings where angles are less than 15 degrees. While some might be real, many are likely incorrect data.

The Task:
Improve OSM data quality by reviewing the identified buildings and see if their shapes need correction.

Important Considerations:

• Some buildings, especially historical ones, may have unique angles.
  • If unsure, consult the community forum for guidance.

Why Fix Spiky Buildings?
Accurate building shapes on OSM benefit everyone! They improve:

• Data quality for various applications
  • Navigation services
  • Urban planning
  • Emergency response

Have Questions?
Feel free to reply to this message for help, modifying instructions, or suggestions on resources.
Thanks for your contributions!

Best,
Salim

Why is this building considered spiky?

Good catch @hansfn. you can skip it as it may be a false positive or already solved before.

Probably you can zoom in, here is the issue @hansfn

The “View OSM” button (and even the OSM History tab) on your site appears to go to some other place than the one shown.

E.g., give these a try:

• Task 224388999 (the one posted above by hansfn) – “View OSM” leads to a place in France.
  • Task 224388641 – “View OSM” leads to a place in US.
  • Task 224388624 – “View OSM” leads to a place in Italy.

Thank you @anderfo. let me check what is going on there. do you mind sharing a screenshot of your findings?

Yes, I can zoom :grin: However, I thought the needle was used for indication of the location of the spike:

1 Like

Good point @hansfn . I will add to the description that the lead takes you to the building and not necessarily yo the spiky node

Sure!
For the node/building posted by hansfn, it shows this:

The View OSM button takes me to this node in France: Node History: 940266375 | OpenStreetMap

1 Like

It’s mixed node and polygon / way ID :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good catch @anderfo! we will double check it and come back the soonest on this matter