New value ideas for "corkeen" surfaces

Hi all,

I’m looking for new value suggestions for the “Corkeen” surface.

Corkeen is a brand name for a soft, permiable, cork-derived surface used in places such as a playgrounds. It’s similar to wet pour rubber but with cork rather than rubber as the core material.

We don’t use brand names for values (e.g., we use asphalt rather than tarmac eventhough the latter is more common in British English), so surface=corkeen does not seem appropriate.

However, I’m not sure we should just use surface=cork either. This is because it’s not just purely cork (it uses different layers and binding agents) and so might cause confusion for data consumers (e.g., with actual cork surfaces on information boards).

Current usage for surface=cork is small (just three uses in Spain and Portugal, prior to my tagging) but in those cases is being used for playgrounds.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

We have quite similar, also trademarked, Tag:surface=tartan - OpenStreetMap Wiki, also overlapping with Tag:surface=rubber - OpenStreetMap Wiki.

Personally, I don’t think that surface=cork poses any danger of confusion – any cork-based material used for covering a playground will surely be processed in some manner in order to provide desired pliability and robustness.

8 Likes

Maybe processed_cork? But that seems quite redundant, basically any use of cork requires processing it.

Either way I would encourage creating page at Wiki to document it (feel free to ask for help us you are unsure how to do this)

2 Likes

Tag:surface=cork - OpenStreetMap Wiki created.

3 Likes