New server infrastructure for the Community

Hello Andy,

thank you for mentioning this. I Hope to get some more feedback regarding readability of the font. I switched over to the serif variant, as this is simpler to read. I consider filing a PR at carto, as the “main” rendering would benefit from it as well.

I built the new stack again on Ubuntu. In this case on top of 20.04 LTS. For all interested in the technology: it runs inside a docker container, so the required libraries do not conflict with the other contents on the server. It uses tirex to power the rendering engine. I don’t understand why others stick so much with renderd, given the nice queue management of tirex. Maybe it simply is a matter of “it works, why change it”. Data update and tile expiry is also handled in a special way. These seem to be areas where the requirements differ.
I cross-checked some times with switch2osm, which is quite valuable to give a good starting point. Thanks for sharing insights there.

I did stick with the “stock” mod_tile. I remember I checked your repository, but it is 36 commits ahead, 41 commits behind, So I was uncertain which of the 36 commits contained the gist of the change. I saw a recent discussion regarding this, so will probably jump in there. Seems there are chances to merge back what is required into mod_tile.

PS: I fully switch over the production URL in a day or two.

Stephan

After some soft-migration during the last days (osmose and tiles had been the major services running on the new server), I finally switched over the remaining things.
Please let me know if something is no longer working as expected. Please note that all cached tiled have been fully re-rendered with the new style up to zoom level 15. If you zoom in further you might currently face some longer loading times as tiles are not yet pre-rendered. There is still a queue of roughly 20 million tiles the server is recreating in the background.

I have retired some of the older services. As getting them back up running with recent software up is certainly work, I am interested in whether someone is actually using them. For privacy reasons I have no user tracking. This makes it harder now to get some usage numbers.
Please let me know whether you are interested in seeing one of these currently disabled services back up:

nametool: It provided a map which highlighted features where either the the script name was missing or the English one. It also offered a helper interface to ease in editing these, like suggesting main street names for sois. Bringing this back in a proper way is a larger effort. Osmose reports missing names. I believe that Johnny was the only one using it besides myself.
taginfo (th): This was similar to the official taginfo instance, but was indexing only Thailand. Getting it back should be lower effort. Is there interest?
wdye: This started very long ago and after the license change I no longer worked on it. It displayed on a heat map where you have edited. A simplified version is available by Pascal Neis (yosmhm).
reports: This listed various statistics and potential tagging issues in Thailand, focusing on bilingual name tags. Any interest in it? It had also a prototype of the “editing trophy”, highlighting tagging work done “on the ground”.

I mentioned it before, the server is now in a different data-center. It should behave well routing to True due to a direct peering. You can measure speed to the server at https://speedtest.osm-tools.org/

There are still some minor open points for me to work on. This might result in short interruptions, usually shorter than 1min. The server uptime in the last three months was 99.99%. Largest contributor to downtime was work by the data-center on replacing network switches. You can always see server status at http://status.osm-tools.org/