Netherlands sub community

Category name

Users: Netherlands

Is this top-level category or a subcategory?

A subcategory, just like the polish community.

Description of it’s purpose and which open mapping groups will serve

This will eventually be a replacement of the current Users: Netherlands of the old forum. So Dutch speaking to discuss topics related to the Kingdom of the Netherlands

Why this new category is needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

The Dutch community indicated that a separate community like on the old forum is desired.

Is this a new space or it’s already existing in other platform(s)? Where?

Yes, the old forum

What the current volume of messages in the former platform (per week/per month)

Depends on the week but currently I think around 5 new topics per week and of course discussion on those topics. We also have a sticky topic for BAG import requests which has 10.000+ replies with several new replies every week.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

This community is mainly to illustrate how the new Users: Netherlands would look like until the full migration. It allows us to adjust and to give feedback in advance. There is quite some skepticism about this new forum among the Dutch mappers, mainly due to the fact that it is not clear how the new forum will look like (which already resulted in this question). There it is not excepted to see high volume here until the migration.

That said, the transition will depend on the forum migration. If that is successful and enough new users are convinced to use the new forum then we will just start using it/ recommending it to new users.

List the usernames of the category moderators

This is an on going question on the old forum. I am willing to be a moderator and other names will follow.

1 Like

Thanks for the request. As soon as we have a list of usernames for the moderation (2-3 is enough) and a brief description of them we can move forward and create the category.

Cheers.

Here the list:

• Martin Borsje : One of the current moderators on the old forum. He indidate he would like to proceed beeing a moderator on the new forum
  • Myself: Currently not a moderator but willing to be. I am a mapper for 3 years now. I am fairly active on the old forum and quite some people know me already. I also managed groups before.

For now, 2 is enough but I would like to have more 3-5 in total after the migration. The Dutch forum is one of the more most forums and with enough moderators, there should always be one available.

Thanks!

@Martin_Borsje can you add a comment here indicating you are OK to become a moderator?

After that we can move ahead and create the category :slight_smile:

Happy to see the Dutch community hanging here!

Cheers.

Fully okay to remain moderator on the Dutch community (and on the NL BAG_import closed group) :grinning:

The #communities:nl category is now live and moderators added. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!

Can I suggest you take this opportunity to update the Community Index page with this new category link?

You can do this by opening a new issue in their github repo, you might want to also provide update on existing channels for your community in case some have changed or are no longer used.

Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I set a reminder to update this after the forum migration. Currently, the old forum is still the main forum for the Dutch community

1 Like

Can the logo please be removed or be reduced to like 25% of the current size? It requires a lot of space which clutters the view. It would be nice though if the white text next to the logo could stay (if reducing the logo is no option).

I’ve removed the logo since there is no option for logo size. As far as I see the description of the category is not displayed without a logo.

Thanks. I saw you talk about custom CSS so maybe this can be a solution if more communities want a logo but not with that size. For now it is fine then without the logo.

Yeah, custom css is an option, but for now I know that @Firefishy recommended to avoid that if possible.

Forgot to mention that it would be highly recommended to get the OSM Etiquette Guidelines localized in your country official languages, so people participating in your category can fully understand them.

This can be done on the wiki directly as other languages have already done.

Thanks!

Done: NL:Etiquette/Etiquette Guidelines - OpenStreetMap Wiki

I also updated the sticky post in the local community. Thanks for the tip

1 Like