name=Fiume Po on road

Sorry for doing this in English.

Way: ‪Fiume Po‬ (‪24208627‬) | OpenStreetMap is a primary road and bridge with name=Fiume Po and bridge:name=Ponte sul Po di Pieve di Porto Morone. I would think that name=Fiume Po only applies to the river itself, and the bridge:name tag here should be the name tag of this road section. What do you think?

Hi Casper,
in Italy, road signs are often applied near the ends of bridges and viaducts, reporting the name of the river or valley they are crossing along with the length of the bridge itself.

This usually happens with motorways and main roads (primary and secondary) and for the major rivers (that’s not the rule, though), perhaps who mapped that way wanted to include this information.

I also know that the Entities in charge of their maintenance usually refer to them with the same name used on the signs.

In my personal view, however, the bridge “belongs” to the road it carries and should have the road’s name.

IMHO the river/valley name can be mapped by placing traffic_sign nodes where the signs are located (if any), not sure if there’s a proper category for this (I know of the city_limit value, which is obviously not applicable in this case)

“In my personal view, however, the bridge “belongs” to the road it carries and should have the road’s name.”

I agree, so I updated the name: Changeset: 127047918 | OpenStreetMap

“IMHO the river/valley name can be mapped by placing traffic_sign nodes”

Yes, that’s possible, but idk where those are and aerial imagery isn’t good enough for that.

Yes, that’s possible, but idk where those are and aerial imagery isn’t good enough for that.

The information about sign placement is usually obtained from on-site surveys; Mapillary photos can also help, sometimes.

In my personal view, however, the bridge “belongs” to the road it carries and should have the road’s name.

bridges can have their own name, irrespective of the road, but if I wanted to put both together, the road would belong to the bridge (when looking at the situation at the bridge) and the bridge would belong to the road (when looking at the whole length of the road and if it is significantly longer than just the bridge)

The bridge (man_made=bridge) should get a “name” if it has a name, but it should not get the name from the road if it hasn’t.

I agree, so I updated the name: Changeset: 127047918 | OpenStreetMap

“IMHO the river/valley name can be mapped by placing traffic_sign nodes”

Yes, that’s possible, but idk where those are and aerial imagery isn’t good enough for that

IMHO you should never change names for things you do not know in places where you haven’t been.

I also agree that those signs at bridges in Italy with the name of the river flowing underneath the bridge, typically specify neither the name of the bridge nor the road

In the case of the primary road, I think the mapping before was better because the bridge name was associated to the (not explicitly mapped) bridge rather than the road as it is now, probably the “name” should be removed all together, like here in the continuation

I crossed the river Po around 40 days ago. I have confirmed that it is indeed a river and not a bridge.

The description of bridge:name=* says " Used to specify the name of a bridge where name is already used for the road on the bridge."
The road has no other name, so I think using name=* is appropriate here.

1 Like

The description of bridge:name=* says " Used to specify the name of a bridge where name is already used for the road on the bridge."
The road has no other name, so I think using name=* is appropriate here

I didn’t know of this tag, it’s very useful, indeed. No more need to search for signs & their placement :slight_smile:
Thank you!
Max

1 Like

the current name for the road is not very plausible.

As a sidenote, Apple maps has also “Fiume Po” for the road on the bridge (they are using OpenStreetMap and Tomtom, but it is not a permissible source AFAIK).

Tuttocittà, HERE 2017, has no name for this part

Either way I think “Fiume Po” is highly unlikely to be the actual name of the road or the bridge, so if you have a better suggestion we can use that or we can leave it blank and rely on the ref=* tags until a local mapper passes by and maps whatever is on the signage or official databases.

I even checked Gmaps out of curiosity, and there is actually a sign that says “Fiume Po”, but it has File:Simbolo mare fiume lago - 1979.svg - Wikimedia Commons , which means that I was right and it’s just the name of the river.

Either way I think “Fiume Po” is highly unlikely to be the actual name of the road or the bridge

for the bridge it is very unlikely, for the road it could maybe be possible

Maaaybe, but that’s a stretch. It’s more likely that they saw File:Simbolo mare fiume lago - 1979.svg - Wikimedia Commons with “Fiume Po” under it and mistagged it as the name.

Maaaybe, but that’s a stretch. It’s more likely that they saw File:Simbolo mare fiume lago - 1979.svg - Wikimedia Commons with “Fiume Po” under it and mistagged it as the name.

it is likely, but we usually ask people to be sure about their edits, rather than guessing, especially when it comes to changing other people’s contributions. Did you try to reach out to the previous editor?

The name was added over 12 years ago, so I haven’t bothered with that. I’m done with this, so if you want to put name=“Fiume Po” back onto the bridge, be my guest.

o, so I haven’t bothered with that. I’m done with this, so if you want to put name=“Fiume Po” back onto the bridge, be my guest.

I don’t edit names based on guessing