Motorcycle:conditional – stationary noise

Up until now this tag is used:

motorcycle:conditional=no @ (apr-oct AND >95db)

Background: On some streets in Austria motorcycles with a stationary noise >95dB(A) are not allowed.

However: this used tag leads to an issue in Osmose because it is unclear what ‘quality’ is meant by >95db.

This ‘quality’ is stationary noise - a specific noise which is measured according to guideline ECE R41-04. According to an OSM-Telegram Community member this is a known value for a specific model and written in the vehicle documents.

Additionally, db is the wrong unit: actually, it is dB(A).
(Despite the fact that db / dB also exists, but it is not the same.)

I’m a newbie in OSM and came up with the question in the OSM TG group if I could use something like this:

motorcycle:conditional=no @ apr-oct AND stationary_noise>95dB_A

Clever Tom asked, what if " the government may decide in a couple of years to change the 95db to 80db and then you need to change all tags".

This would ask for a similar solution like in the case for maxspeed, for example with the tag
maxspeed:type=AT:rural.

As said, I’m a newbie and am overtaxed to find an adequate proposition.

As other countries like Switzerland also are interested in setting up such regulations and as advised by the OSM-TG I’m asking in this rather than the local Austrian group.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

1 Like

Link zum Forumeintrag aus 2020: Verbot für besonders laute Motorräder - wie taggen?

motorcycle:conditional=no @ Apr-Oct AND stationary_noise>95dB_A sounds fine to me (note: month names should start with a capital letter, I’ve corrected this here).

2 Likes

Dont know why I’m seeing 3 topics at the same time in the ‘Latest’ list all with the same motorcycle noise restriction issue, but its more than a little off putting. @MODERATION, please merge into 1.

Thx

stationary_noise ist freilich sperrig, man weiß nicht auf Anhieb, was damit gemeint sein könnte - das Geräusch das das Moped im Stillstand macht – wen interessiert das – oder das Geräusch, das das Moped beim Fahren macht? Aber wenn die Industrie/der Gesetzgeber das so nennen, dann verstehen Leute aus der Szene das wohl. dBA detto, man sieht sofort, dass es sich um ein Verhältnis handelt (dB) und dass es ermittelt wurde, nachdem die Basis durch einen Filter (A) gegangen ist. Welche Basis das hat das sollte Leuten aus der Szene auch kein Geheimnis sein. Osmose hat einmal recht, ein <> ohne Merkmal sagt weniger als eines mit.

Sorry, I certainly didn’t want to off put anyone with spam.

I was recommended to post my question into the general forum by a OSM Telegram group. However, at the moment it concerns primaraliy Austria, Germany and Switzerland. That’s why I did a post in these local groups in order to draw their attention to the matter. I put in a link to the original post in the general forum as well as a translation in German for those who struggle with English.

May be I should have gone another way - then again - I’m sorry and please tell me how that should have been. I’m a OSM newbie.
@MODERATION

Indeed stationary noise is the result of the noise measurement when the MC is stationary, meaning that the motor is on, at a required rpm, but with activated clutch.
In German it’s cold ‘Standgeräusch’.

And yes, stationary_noise is bulky.
A member of the Swiss OSM mailing list proposed to use just ‘noise’.
The problem with that is, that there are also drive-by noise measurements.
Both - stationary noise and drive-by noise are part of the EC-Certificate of Conformity, (which is needed for importing MC in the European Union).
So, in my oppinion it is better to be precise. Who knows, if in a vew years drive-by noise needs to be integrated into OSM? If we only use noise then it would be difficult to differentiate.

Regarding the unit:
dB(A) is with brackets. These are problematic for parsers especially in the case of a conditional tagging, as brackets sometimes are used to group the conditions.
I suggested dB_A. I know, this is bulky also. You suggested dBA. I could live with dBA.
What do others think regarding this?

1 Like

Hi Agi_on_tour,
i’ve used the tagging years ago, following a recommendation from the manufacturer of my navigation system - which uses OSM material.
The restriction is very specific to Austria and the Wiki does not cover this case. I used “>95db” as . And yes, you are right, there is a difference between dB and dB(A) :wink:

I prefer this recommendation:

Please send me a PM if you need help for re-tagging.

Best regards
Mike

Ich will mich hier nicht als der große Architekt aufspielen, trotzdem hier mein Senf:

Für Auswerter der Daten ist es am einfachsten wenn der Wert nur eine Zahl enthält, zB ele=2157 - ohne Einheit. Das geht dann gut, wenn der Schlüssel eine Einheit (in dem Fall Meter) vorgibt. Wenn dann aber andere 7077ft taggen oder 7077’ oder gar nur 7077 dann wird es schwierig. So was will man eher vermeiden.

Noch einmal, welchen Wert man angibt sollte schon in der Bedingung mit erwähnt werden, wie das dann genau heißt, das ist reine Konvention, Standgeräusch, von mir aus. Ob stationary_noise die richtige Übersetzung davon ist, keine Ahnung.

PS: Ich beteilige mich aus einem faible für Tontechnik, da gibt es dBA und dBU usw, die Einheit ist dann mWn Pascal /zumindest vor dem (A)) oder Volt.

Hi TheNet1996

Thank you very much for responding. And for tagging 95% or more of the affected ways years ago ! I really mean it.

I definitively prefer “stationary_noise” because this is the official term used in the international regulation which defines exactly, how this kind of ‘sound’ has to be measured (ECE R41-04).

I have also searched english speaking internet sources covering the topic with the following result.

The terms used were:
5 x stationary noise
2 x exhaust noise
1x standing sound emission
1x stationary vehicle noise level

The counts relate to the number of websites using the term.
The last one (stationary vehicle noise level) also can be seen as a longer form of ‘stationary noise’.

So, stationary noise prevails heavily.
One of the websites was tyrol.tl which looks sort of ‘official’.

What arguments speak for ‘loudness_close’ in your opinion?

And would you agree with dBA instead of dbA?

I have contacted one renderer using the tag. Yes, he and others will have to adjust their parser, but they need to do it anyways from time to time als OSM evolves.

Thanks for offering help with retagging. I think with JOSM I can do that in a vew minutes.
First we have to agree on the tag :slight_smile:

1 Like

Danke für deinen interessanten Input.

Wenn ich die Wikis zu den conditional Taggings anschaue, dann muss ich dir absolut recht geben. Da tauchen in den Werten keine Units auf.
Irgendwie habe ich die dB(A) wohl drinbehalten im Vorschlag, weil sie schon vorher drin waren.

Würde das heissen, dass es im Wiki für Units einen Eintrag für stationary_noise bräuchte, der definiert, dass es sich bei ‘stationary_noise’ um dB(A) handelt, und der Tag dann nur noch
motorcycle:conditional=no @ Apr-Oct AND stationary_noise>95 lauten würde?

(Sofern wir uns auf ‘stationary_noise’ einigen können; siehe meine Argumentation weiter oben).

2 Likes

Hmm, wenn ich mir die Bedingung anschau, dann heißt

dass von Apr-Oct keine MR fahren dürfen, und zu allen Zeiten keine, die ein Standgeräusch von mehr als 95 (Einheiten) abgeben?

Die Vorschrift ist, dass die Einschränkung bezüglich der Standgeräuschs nur von April bis Oktober gilt. Ausserhalb dieser Zeit kannst du auch mit lauteren Bikes fahren, was aber keiner macht.
Der aktuell eingetragene Tag ist mit Klammern:
motorcycle:conditional=no @ (apr-oct AND >95db), eine OSM-Koryphäe teilte mir mit, die Klammer brauche es nicht. Ich weiss, im Wiki ist sie empfohlen.

Zitat aus dem deutschen Wiki
Beispiel : access:conditional=destination @ (Sa-Su AND weight>7) : Nur wenn sowohl das Fahrzeuggewicht als auch der Wochentag stimmen, ist der Zutritt oder die Zufahrt auf destination beschränkt.

(Einen anderen Fehler im neuen Vorschlag weiter oben, auf den ich aufmerksam gemacht wurde, habe ich erst vorhin korrigiert: Apr-Oct anstelle von apr-oct)

1 Like

Ich bin, was Logik anbelangt gehandicapt. Ich weiß nur, AND ist ein gewöhnlich ein lazy Operator, dh. ich kann abbrechen und falsch zurückgeben beim ersten nicht zutreffenden Fall. Mag sein, dass ich da irre: Also, yes ist nur dann für alle, wenn (NICHT Apr-Oct und NICHT Standgeräusch>95). Mir scheint, ohne Klammer geht das nicht richtig auf.

1 Like

Das Beispiel aus dem Wiki, das ich erst vorhin nachträglich noch eingefügt habe, hat auch Klammern, also lautet der aktuelle Vorschlag folgendermassen:

1. Eintrag ins ‘Unit-Wiki’ (die Einheit für stationary_noise ist dB(A) )
  2. motorcycle:conditional=no @ (Apr-Oct AND stationary_noise>95)
4 Likes

Ich les das jetzt so: Ist es Winter; scheiß drauf, ist Sommer; sei nicht laut über Gebühr. Tatsächlich gibt es Motorräder, die einem nicht die Ohren platzen lassen.

1 Like

Ich würde deine Interpretation umschreiben auf:
Ist es Winter, kannst du jedes in Österreich zugelassene Motorrad auf dieser Strecke benutzen, auch eines der eher lauteren Sorte. Im Sommer musst du eines verwenden, das nicht überaus laut ist.

Sprich - es geht in der Vorschrift nicht um die laute oder weniger laute Fahrweise, sondern um laute oder weniger laute Motorräder.

Dass man der Anwohner, Touristen und Tiere wegen dazu angehalten ist, auch mit weniger lauten Motorrädern ebenfalls in möglichst leiser Weise zu fahren … - ja natürlich.

Wie andernorts schon erwähnt - mich betrifft es nicht - ich fahre Elektromotorrad. Bei mir kann nicht einmal eine Standgeräuschemessung stattfinden, weil sich das Mikro in einem bestimmten Winkel/Abstand vom Auspuffende befinden muss :joy:.

Und hier noch - vielleicht auch für euch etwas zur Erheiterung - Einer der geplagten Anwohner, der mit wehenden Haaren davon (oder zur Polizei?) rennt, wenn ein zu lautes Bike vorbeifährt.

Es handelt sich um die von der Einschränkung betroffenen Strecken im Tirol, in JOSM mit den zugehörigen Nodes … :sweat_smile:

Hello Agi,
this proposal sounds good and I think it’s a good way forward to use it. It would be nice if you could also update the OSM Wiki, including with an photo of this traffic sign :slight_smile:
Thank you very much for your efforts!
Best regards
Mike

1 Like

Hi Agi_on_tour,

my hat off for the patient handling of this exotic issue!

Correct, and the long version usually is “stationary noise level”.

:+1: I would do it exactly this way.

Off-topic: As far as I’ve head, police does not only check the mc registration for the documented stationary noise value but they also gauge this value on the road here and there and if it is above the paper value they’ll send you back on the spot … :sleepy:.

Einmal drüber geschlafen, die Klammern sind nicht nötig, damit die Logik passt, aber sie scheinen für die Syntax der Bedingungen so festgelegt, d.h. parser die sie auswerten vertrauen eventuell drauf, dass die da sind.