Monitoring specific tag changes in an area

Hi all,

Is there a tool / feed that lets me monitor specific tag changes in an area? I would like to know, for example, when another mapper changes road classification for primary and secondary roads, or removes refs from them.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
mvexel

4 Likes

There was OWL at some point, but it seems to be dead now. I think you could do a similar thing by creating a filtered RSS feed, but I’m not really sure about the specifics. Although, there’s actually something that still works along those lines here. So I know it’s doable that way. Maybe someone’s created something more intuitive since the last time I looked into it though, which admittedly was a while ago.

1 Like

With OSMCha you can create a filter to monitor all changes to primary and secondary roads. I don’t know of a service with more fine grained filtering.

5 Likes

With OSMCha you can also define a specific bounding box where the filter settings are used.
Besides this you can couple a RSS-feed to any changes seen by the filter.

The only drawback I have seen with this, is the bounding box is a square, which maybe is not exactly the area you want to monitor.

5 Likes

There is a “BBox size bound” parameter. Though it’s not extremely precise or obvious.

OSMCha is very useful but it doesn’t give me the control that I need in this case. There are a few mappers in my area that have a tendency to liberally change highway classifications, and I would like to keep an eye on those specific tag changes (so if a changeset contains a way that was highway=secondary before and is now something else).

As I still don’t know another tool for that, I can only try to narrow down the needed OSMCha filter. If you add “Invalid tag modification” to the filter I suggested above, there will likely still be some false positives, but it should be quite close to what you need.