Missing unread count for categories with unread threads?

What and who is affected by this issue/request?

All users who use number of unread messages as indicator whether to enter the category to read it.

Where on the platform does it happen?

On the left sidebar, where is a list of catagories, which has (after the name of the category) number of unread messages (or blank if all messages are read). However, it is sometimes shown as blank, even when there are unread messages in that category.

How do we replicate the issue?

• open the community.openstreetmap.org
  • login if not logged in already
  • watch the left sidebar, and try to see if categories which have no mention of unread messages in fact do contain unread messages

Expected behavior (i.e. solution)

Correct number of unread messages show be shown, if there are unread messages.

For example, it screenshot below, you can see two unread threads/messages in Hrvatska (Croatia) category (by TomTom), indicated by black-colored titles as unread (as opposed to grey-colored titles of threads which have been read completely).

However, on the left sidebar, after Hrvatska (Croatia) name of category, there is just blank space, where it should be saying 2 unread instead (just as other categories show number of their unread messages)

Other Comments

Have other people noticed that? Is that a issue with OSM Discourse database, or a more general Discourse bug? Or some feature whose purpose is incomprehensible to me?

Interestingly, I don’t see a number of unread messages, only a blue dot to say that there are messages in each category?

I’m on Firefox & Win 10 if that effects things at all? What are you using, Matija?

1 Like

Check your profile:
Preferences / Navigation menu / :ballot_box_with_check: Show a count of the new items

3 Likes

Thanks!

Yet another setting I wasn’t aware of :roll_eyes:

Edit: & it worked!

@Matija_Nalis ich denke, die Anzeige hängt davon ab wie Du Deine Einstellungen unter
Profile / Preferences / + Tracking
gewählt hast.

Ich vermute, dass nur gezählt wird, was Du unter “Beobachten” oder “Verfolgen” eingestellt hast.

Good idea, perhaps it could be related to settings like that, but I have Hrvatska (Croatia) category under automatically Watched (since forever), so if anything it should show unread topics there always.