OK, now do that as a regex that doesn’t conflict with any other bbcode
“Now you have two problems…”
I have just reset the test import site again. I am now running a new test import with a fix for above.
The test import run should finish in around 20 hours time.
Reset again… Another test import now running with feature complete permalink (old forum links) code.
Topic Permalinks (old forum links) code confirmed working.
Reset again… Likely final changes: fixes for list items (list item inner formatting and fix for some
<ul> incorrectly being converted to
Import should complete in around 12 hours.
Thanks to @Harry_Wood
I think we’re nearly there, final? test import run done: https://forum-import-test.openstreetmap.org/
I have also enabled logins (use login with OSM button at login) and check your imported message history.
The FluxBB Markdown (forum.osm.org) content conversion looking very good now.
Now need to work out the steps for the real import. The import will likely mean the community site will be offline / read-only for a bit. I will properly schedule and announce the outage with at least a few days notice.
Thank you Grant and Harry and Tom for fixing the prominent issues! I’ve posted the update to the Russian forum.
On a side note, do we keep the imported threads separate, or merge them with the already existing regional forums?
Post import the suitable categories (eg: regional forums) will be merged into existing community.osm.org categories.
I have tried, but doesn’t look like anything is recoverable. The old forum used to be hosted by an individual in the OpenStreetMap NL community. Many years ago the individual walked away from OSM without handing anything over. As part of the OSM.org operations team I was later able by brute force to get a dump of the database and re-host the site, but the unicode data loss likely happened then (bad dump?) or may have happened before then.
The login works smoothly, and I think the posting history is preserved well. All the posts I checked looked very fine.
Will links to the old forum be changed to point to the new url, or will the old link be preserved, and then redirected to the new address?
We will need a redirect anyway for links from “outside”, but having the links inside the new community going directly to the new address will probably be a smoother user experience.
All old forum links will redirect to the imported content.
The redirect is as follows
https://community.openstreetmap.org/$1(note the regex
- community.openstreetmap.org will redirect to the correct content (importer populates the discourse permalink data)
You can test it yourself, find any URL on the old forum eg:
- Take the url path + parameter
- Prefix it with
- That URL will redirect to the imported content.
Went over it just this morning and I noticed that
[…] inside a quote is missing the opening
[ all the time. We use that to point out that text was left out. Other than that, everything I was testing was looking great and worked perfectly
Could you link to examples? Old and new.
They are used frequently, but I only picked this one thread, because there’s so many in it.
Have you looked on the Wayback Machine?
Unfortunately, the corrupted characters were already present in this example thread by the time the Wayback Machine first indexed it in 2016.
@Firefishy, I just crawled the Wiki. There are 1089 links to the forum, of which 717 are unique AND start with
http(s?)://forum.openstreetmap.org (there are some weird Google Translate links, I’ll have to look at).
Of those 717 links, 36 do not redirect, when the part after .org/ is put to the tester link.
Things you need not worry:
- http(s)://forum.openstreetmap.org(/index.php) ==> Yeah, that’s kind of expected
all sorts of links that are not seperated correctly (like https://forum-import-test.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=284||Newcastle)fixed
Topics 19910, 999999 (probably a tester), 797497 are not present in the old forumfixed
Things I’d like you to take a look at:
- https://forum-import-test.openstreetmap.org/extern.php?action=feed&type=rss&fid=8, https://forum-import-test.openstreetmap.org/extern.php?action=feed&type=rss&fid=14, https://forum-import-test.openstreetmap.org/extern.php?fid=25&type=rss ==> I know for a fact, that you can get RSS feeds from Discourse, do you want to bother with redirecting those?
- There are 19 links where there’s a page-parameter attached (like https://forum-import-test.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=68288&p=5) and those do not seem to get caught by the regex ==> do you want to include those in the match and just redirect to the topic as Discourse doesn’t have the page-concept at all?