Messages appearing out of order

Have noticed similar to this previously when comments often appear out of order in a thread e.g. a comment posted today is up the top of a thread, while earlier posts are further down, but this is the first time I’ve noticed it with normal message posts.

Message 4 in this thread: What happened to ÖPNVKarte? - #4 by ramthelinefeed, was posted at 14/1/2024 00.06, but is clearly a response to message “5”, which is showing as posted at 13/1/2024 23.42 (sorry, they may be my local times?, but you get the idea), but the reply is positioned further up the thread than the question it’s answering? This makes it a bit hard to keep track of what’s what?

Any thoughts as to why?

Maybe it is the sort order?
In german I see
sort

3 Likes

You can sort by votes or activity, as help and support is a Q&A site. It looks like you were sorting by votes, which puts the best answers up top.

1 Like

Actually, you can turn “post voting on” per-topic anywhere if you want, and can turn it off inside help and support (I did that here) if desired. Click the “+” to the left of “Create a new Topic” to turn it on and off:

Screenshot 2024-01-15 130113

1 Like

In most cases this is as a result of things that should be posted as comments to posts being done as separate responses. It’s one of the deficiencies of the discourse QA plugin compared to the old help.openstreetmap.org site as in the older software you were able to convert between answers and comments after the fact and in discourse you can’t.

This has been pointed out a few times including here

2 Likes