Maxspeed data available for Finland and Norway highways

I found the speed limit databases for three nordic countries (Sweden, Norway and Finland), which I uploaded here. I started a thread on the OSM slack channel about using this data to do a bulk import into OSM, but as many pointed out this is quite difficult and instead it would be better to start a thread here and share the map so that contributors could use it for updates.

I’m also aware that someone already did this importing of maxspeed data to the Sweden as per this, so no need to do anything on Sweden.

I’ve also left the Felt map open in case anyone wants to duplicate it and download the data and for each layer you will find its source as well and a link to it.

And if it helps, here is a query from Overpass for stats regarding the number of roads missing the maxspeed tag for Finland and for Norway. Also, if anyone has any input to improve the query that’d be very helpful (I had thought about generating the stats for each highway type; motorway, motorway_link, trunk, etc, but that’s proven a bit difficult). Below are the results for Finland and Norway; and if you run it for Sweden you’ll see that 37% of the road network doesn’t have maxspeed tags, and it drops down to 15% if you leave out the “unclassified” highway tag.

Finland
|streets_tot|w_maxsp|no_maxsp|percentage|
|365540|126715|238825|0.653|

Norway
|streets_tot|w_maxsp|no_maxsp|percentage|
|351619|158420|193199|0.5494|

Ps. If you think we need another thread for the Norway community, let me know and I can create it.

1 Like

It feels so futile to import this kind of data that are updated continuously while always up-to-date data are available directly from the open APIs of the Finnish Transfer Infrastructure Agency Open API - Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency. An example (click it - I do not know how to disable that linked content from the message):

However, I know that there are many excellent tools that can utilize only OSM data.

Thank you for the initiative. However, for Norway we already have the official data from the Norwegian Road Administration. Most of it is already imported, and there is a structure to supplement and update it: Import/Catalogue/Road import (Norway)/Tag Update - OpenStreetMap Wiki

There is also a tool to automate the updating: GitHub - NKAmapper/highway_merge: Merges/conflates highways in OSM

Gotcha. On the topic of the futility of importing speed limit data on OSM’s map, I understand that given that there are open data pipelines pushing that kind of data, that it might not make sense to update the base map.

However, just want to point out two things that could be relevant:

• The EU has been working on a data specification precisely to only send data for the links/segments that are having an update on the speed limit data, instead of pushing a whole new updated database. If anyone is interested and we think it’s worth exploring the data spec to get OSM updated. Here is where they have a list of all the current data feeds for countries pushing this data (I believe that by 2025 all EU countries will have to have this data pushed out in their National Access Points): TN-ITS services - 02/05/2023 · Issue #35 · ERTICO-TN-ITS/TN-ITS-Open · GitHub
  • The feedback I’ve gotten by the folks working on this spec and talking to nav apps using their own base map (Waze, HERE, TomTom, etc.), is that most of they typically update their base map with the official data speed limit database out there (plus crowdsourcing) and then use the TN-ITS data spec to get automatic updates where needed.