Marking that entrance=staircase/main has no sign with code (in area where it is to be expected)

In some countries buildings with multiple entrances, there will be entrance code assigned to each.

So there will be entrance=staircase ref=19 and so on, and it would be typical to give visitors instructions in form “Zielona Street 9, entrance 19, flat 278”

Is there some accepted/reasonable tagging for “I checked this entrance in area where entrances are expected to have signs, and there was nothing signed there?” What about ref:signed=no ?

(triggered by https://github.com/streetcomplete/StreetComplete/issues/3064 )

the typical way would be noref=yes, as we do with noname=yes
also already used in significant numbers:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/noref

you even edited the wikipage yourself: Difference between revisions of "Key:noref" - OpenStreetMap Wiki
maybe I misunderstood you, do you want to tag there is a ref but not sign for it?

I want to tag that there is no sign and ref maybe is present or maybe not.

Though maybe noref=yes outright is also viable.

I think if there could be a ref but the only thing for sure is it is not signed, then your original proposal is fine: ref:signed=no

1 Like

Might be nitpicking, but I’d say put noref=yes at first, and if you (or anyone) find that ref does exists somewhere, add it and ref:signed=no. Start simple, assume that if not signed it probably doesn’t exists anywhere and expand when you know more.

My 2 cents.

1 Like

Might be nitpicking, but I’d say put ref=no at first, and if you (or anyone) find that ref does exists somewhere, add it and ref:signed=no. Start simple, assume that if not signed it probably doesn’t exists anywhere and expand when you know more.

ref=no is not suitable because it can be easily confused with ref=no
:wink:

Sorry, I edited my post. :blush: I took me a while to understand your point (which makes it only more valid) ! :wink:

1 Like

For me noref=yes means “no assigned reference”, not “unsigned reference, status unclear”

While ref:signed=no means “unsigned reference, reference code may or may not be assigned” rather than “reference code is assigned but not signed”

2 Likes