Mapping and labeling of unofficial indigenous territories

Good day, in Latam we have a conversation, and your global experience could be very useful:

Have you worked on OSM issues of perimeters/boundaries of unofficial indigenous territories, which then overlap official administrative territories? OSM allows it, and users accept and respect it?

To be more precise: they are not recognized (by law) as Protected Areas; they are not recognized by law nor in official maps as an administrative boundary of any kind. They would be drawn by the communities themselves to identify their traditional area of use and vernacular authority.

Thanks in advance

Seems to be running into Verifiability - OpenStreetMap Wiki issues but I am not familiar with the topic.

But I suspect that OSM may be unsuitable for this kind of data.

Are this areas marked in any way? Some posts/border stones?

I’m not sure how the boundaries are marked, because not there yet, but I guess there are physical symbols of the limits. I’d like to know cases in the world, maybe in Africa in the areas of customary rights…

I feel like an unofficial area could be considered verified. First it would have to known to locals otherwiseit is not worthconsidering. Then it must have a well defined set of landmarks that are part of well known border as described by the people that created it. This should allow the inclusion of things like a named valley that is surrounded by mountains peaks. There are mojar cities with weaker legal descriptions of their exising borders.