Mapilio's OpenStreetMap Login Integration!

Hello everyone,

We’re thrilled to share some exciting news with you: Mapilio now integrates seamlessly with OpenStreetMap login! :earth_africa::sparkles:

Check out our blog post https://mapilio.com/blog/mapilios-newest-game-changer-openstreetmap-login-integration-55-en for all the details on how to use this new feature. It’s another step towards making your mapping experience even better.

Explore the world with Mapilio and OpenStreetMap today! :rocket::world_map:

3 Likes

That’s great! Say, since you are affiliated with Mapilio, would you be willing to answer some questions about the company? (If yes, I suggest to have this in a new thread in an “ask me anything” format or similar - don’t want to hijack your announcement post here)

3 Likes

Hey West,

I’m here to help with any questions you’ve got. Whether you want to kick off a discussion or shoot us an email to info@mapilio.com, we’ll be lightning-fast in getting back to you. Don’t hesitate to reach out – we’re always here to assist! :sunglasses::rocket:
@westnordost

1 Like

Okay, here it goes! (Feel free to ask a mod to split this up into an own topic)

1. What is your business model? How are you funded?

2. Given that Mapillary and KartaView (= ex OpenStreetCam, ex OpenStreetView) already exist, which market niche are you trying to fill? What is the unique selling point of Mapilio?

3. What rights over the material is granted to Mapilio when uploading - what may you do with it and what may you not do with it? Are these rights revokeable (i.e. user may delete his contributions)? (A link to the the legal text would suffice, but it would be nice to read some short human-readable summary)

4. Where are your servers located? (I.e. to which legislation are you bound when handling the data? Some legislation may apply regardless where you are located but depend on if you handle data by citizens of certain nations, though)

5. Is the Mapilio collection app open source? Is your backend infrastructure open source? (If yes, for either question, are contributions welcome?)

6. I see, like Mapillary, you use some AI detection for street signs (etc.) on maps. Can the data produced be used to enhance OSM? If yes, by special permission specifically for OSM or because it is published under a permissive license, i.e. could be used by anyone?

5 Likes

Our business model :

Mapilio’s business model involved collecting street-level images and geospatial data from users, processing the data, and licensing it to businesses and organizations. We also provided APIs and developer tools for integration and worked with data partnerships and offered enterprise solutions for specific needs. It’s important to note that we are entirely self-bootstrapped, which means that we have been funding our operations and growth independently without external investment or venture capital. This approach has allowed us to maintain full control of our business and make strategic decisions in alignment with our long-term vision

Given that Mapillary and KartaView (= ex OpenStreetCam, ex OpenStreetView) already exist, which market niche are you trying to fill? What is the unique selling point of Mapilio?

Mapilio specializes in providing accurate location data and stands out by integrating aerial imagery from drones and planes alongside traditional street-level imagery. This unique combination can be valuable for a range of applications, including mapping, remote sensing, and infrastructure planning. To learn more about Mapilio and its specific features, Keep an eye out for upcoming release to explore these new features when they become available.

Where are your servers located? (I.e. to which legislation are you bound when handling the data? Some legislation may apply regardless where you are located but depend on if you handle data by citizens of certain nations, though)

Our servers are hosted in multiple data centers across various regions to ensure optimal performance and redundancy. The specific location of our servers may vary over time to enhance our services. We take data privacy and compliance seriously and strive to adhere to relevant data protection laws and regulations in each region we operate. This includes complying with local and international legislation, such as GDPR for European citizens’ data, or other regulations that apply to specific jurisdictions where our services are accessed. We continuously monitor and update our practices to ensure the security and privacy of our users’ data.

Is the Mapilio collection app open source? Is your backend infrastructure open source? (If yes, for either question, are contributions welcome?)

Our mobile application is not open source at the moment, but we are considering the possibility of releasing an open-source version in the future. While the backend infrastructure is not open source, we do have some libraries available on GitHub, and we have plans to release more open-source libraries. Contributions to our open-source projects are welcome and encouraged.

I see, like Mapillary, you use some AI detection for street signs (etc.) on maps. Can the data produced be used to enhance OSM? If yes, by special permission specifically for OSM or because it is published under a permissive license, i.e. could be used by anyone?

We are actively working on a collaboration with OpenStreetMap (OSM) to provide street-level imagery and data, including traffic sign information. Our roadmap includes plans to share this data with the open-source mapping community, including OSM. Our primary goal is to contribute to open-source mapping efforts and enhance the accuracy and detail of maps available to the public.

Big thanks for dropping that awesome question! :rocket: Your curiosity not only fueled your own quest for knowledge but also lit up the community vibe. @westnordost

5 Likes