Map Look Up Pine Island, NY on 12/27/2023 was correct. Map Look Up same on 12/29/2023 not so correct

Hello Open Street Map,
This is the first post of mine… I hope it is helpful.
All the Searches on openstreemap.org OSM are looking for Pine Island, NY. It is very close to the North East slanting border of NJ. Pine Island sits between Vernon, NJ and Warwick, NY.

On Wednesday, evening about 7 pm ET 12/27/2023 I looked up Pine Island, NY on OSM., all was good and helpful.

On Friday 12/29/2023 morning about 6:30 am Eastern Time USA, it was changed. OSM could not find Pine Island addresses.

On Friday 12/29/2023 the OSM showed me an area sort of between Fort Drum, NY and the Adirondack Park,NY. This is North of Albany.

This is the search url:

One of the several screen shots:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=fossgis_osrm_car&route=41.146%2C-74.752%3B43.970%2C-74.424#map=7/42.589/-74.235

In addition: 13 Mission Land Road results on Wed 12/27 found. But on Friday 12/29 OSM could not find the same address.

13 Mission Land Road is visible on your OSM in the correct place on the map, Pine Island, NY.

The OSM map was correct on Wednesday 12/27/2023. OSM was not correct on Friday 12/29/2023.

What happened in those two days?

I thought it important to bring your attention to this small portion of the world. If these kinds of mistakes happen regularly, then … Well I will leave this up to you.

Oh no! a new user can only embed ONE image in a post.

Blessings, Lynn Colleran

Here are other screen shot:

![OSM-MissionLandRd-PineIsland_NY-off-PineIslandTurnpike|690x367](upload://tv27VqTJHlvk8IQZsxvrnBTDTW7.jpeg)

![Pine-Island-NY-near-Fort-DrumNY-wrong|690x367](upload://rj8C4UvytFXjaI8RYPNNt6P0Qgn.jpeg)

Here is another screen shot:

Ok

Yet another screenshot:

That is all
Blessings, Lynn

Hi,

The search engine used on osm.org is Nominatim.

You can seach it directly at nominatim.openstreetmap.org, for example: [search for Pine Island], and it gives you a much more detailed output.

I would recommend starting there and looking at the objects that are being returned from that search and the order in which they’re being returned.

If something looks wrong, it’s either a data problem or something with Nominatim’s algorithm, which is fairly complicated. If you think there is something wrong with Nominatim, you can report it here: GitHub - osm-search/Nominatim: Open Source search based on OpenStreetMap data

2 Likes

Hello ZeLonewolf,
Thank you for the information.
I will send the info to GitHub and see what happens.
I believe it is important that OSM provides an accurate result.
Hope the New Year is good to us all, Blessings, Lynn

Hello SeLonewolf,
I did look up Pine Island, New York on nominatim.openstreetmap.org, and there were 9 results for 9 different counties in NY State. Amazing! It is good to know the OSM was not incorrect. It would have been nice if the map asked which of the 9 I wanted shown. … Very interesting. I provide this information to Git Hub.
Blessings to you, Excellence

You likely got different results on different days because you were looking at different parts of the map when you were searching. There is a small bias towards places that are in or near the currently visible part of the map. They tend to appear higher in the result list.

That said the other results are all minor islands or islets. They currently get far too much importance when deciding the order of results. Improving that is already high on the todo list. The hamlet really should be on the top of the list most of the time.

When it comes to showing a choice of results in the directions box, then this is a feature that needs to be implemented in the website itself.

1 Like