Map Feedback - Lesotho and Eswatini

Hello African community,

In TomTom’s endeavor to improve OSM, we plan to conduct edits based on user input. This activity is the result of checking if feedback received for the TomTom map is also valid for OSM. Note that, starting with a small number, we will only perform edits if they add value to the OSM map, do not conflict with any recent edits made by the community, and are supported by a local source.

In the absence of credible source material, we will reach out to the local community for guidance. We will start with editing POIs, land use, addresses, and highways during this activity. Over time, we will evaluate more feedback and expand to other features. You can refer to the GitHub issue and GitHub issue for further details regarding the types of planned edits.

The MapRoulette challenge used for these edits will be accessible only for our editing team as it could contain confidential information. Along with the #tomtom hashtag that accompanies every TomTom edit in OSM, we will also add the #tt_mapfeedback to the changeset if it is an incidental edit resulting from user feedback.

We plan to start with Lesotho and Eswatini in coming weeks along with a selection of countries for which there is available user input, and then expand to other countries. Please reach out to me if you have any thoughts or questions about this upcoming activity.

Kind regards
Dewald Jansen van Vuuren

Hi Dewald - I am running a 1-man project to update Eswatini placenames and highways, and I want to make sure we don’t run into each other. Is there an easy way to coordinate or at least to know in what region or inkhundla your group will be working in? As an fyi - I started from the SE corner (Lavumisa/Somntongo) and am working my way North and West - deeper into Lubombo and Shiselweni regions. I may do some of your MapRoulette challenges since I’ve been updating road surface as I go along… easy to hit the “Already Fixed” button.
Look forward to talking to you - thanks!
-Greg

Hi @Greg_Rose
Thank you for reaching out and for working on the Map Roulette challenge
Please continue with the Road Surface challenge as there is not a lot of people working on Eswatini at this time
Really appreciate your effort on these challenges
Kind regards
Dewald