Local Knowledge vs. OTG Truth

In my local area, we are free to roam the woods – on foot. We must not camp, we must not ride a horse, we must not ride a bike there, unless explicitly signed, that we may do so, e.g. on pathways and tracks traversing those woods.

Local community is split on this issue: May mappers map bicycle=no on paths/tracks, where they know that it holds, or may they only map that, where such is signed?

A bit this is about: What worth is in local_knowledge? Is it about knowing the law of of the land or is it about reading signs only, so having been there, not seeing a sign, can delete mapping of what is not signed?

4 Likes

If there is some information somewhere, such as a law on file at city hall, an information board at a trailhead, something in a park brochure, regulations posted at park headquarters, etc. I say it can be mapped.

5 Likes

In most cases, a data consumer won’t care about the difference between these two categories - they just want to know if you’re able to ride a bicycle on that path. If you are overly pedantic about things, it produces non-useful data sets :slight_smile:. There are other sub-keys (*:signed comes to mind) that you can use to differentiate cases of explicit signage from other types of data provenance.

6 Likes

That reminds me about similar problem, fortunately extremely rare and fringe one: people claiming that you can map only signed names.

But in general I would map bicycle=no where it is illegal to cycle (and tagging it add some benefit, would not put it on waterway=river). Not only where it is signed that it is illegal to cycle. Adding also bicycle:signed=no and bicycle:source (or source:bicycle) can be also useful.

Though that gets closer to another problem: technically existing legal restrictions that are not enforced at all or extremely rarely. Should we tag them in access keys?

Verifiability is an important point in this context. If a tagged feature (e.g. bicycle=no) is not verifiable, it’s very likely that it will be removed by others - sooner or later.

What is that? An example please (or better some examples).